Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Configuration, Hosting

Deploying site to Heart Internet

Hello Perch & Perchers!

I'm having some issues setting up a Perch site on HI - and it seems to be mainly down to how HI deal with determining a servers root folder, which in turn is knocking all my paths out of whack, to the point where Perch can't even see it's own initial runtime.

I'm wondering if anyone has an elegant solution for anything like this. So far my solution has been to define a new variable called PERCH_SITE_ROOT which appends the extra part of the path ( '/home/username/sites/public_html' ) to the runtime path. This solves a fair amount, but certain things like assets and the perch admin panel are still inaccessible as they rely on the '/' to reach site root. I also tried adding that new path to the front of the PERCH_LOGIN and PERCH_RES variables in the config, but it seems the assets need to re-saved / updated to take notice of this new path, and I can't do that without being able to get into admin, so I'm stuck chasing my tail a bit here.

In all honesty, I'd like to avoid as few paths as possible within Perch, as the more I change, the more the live copy goes out of whack with my local copy (which happily runs on a virtual host on MAMP).

I notice people have left guides on how to deal with cron jobs on HI, so I'm assuming people have successfully deployed to it before - if those people have any tips here it'd be great!

Cheers!

Liam

Liam Coates

Liam Coates 0 points

• 6 years ago
Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Hi Liam,

I just wanted to say that I deployed a site to HI last month without having to do any technical jiggery. (I also develop locally on MAMP)

It might be worth installing Perch from scratch on the server just to prove (or disprove) that it works from a clean install.

Hi Simon,

I did throw the server compatibility test on there just to be sure, which did work, but yes you're right, I might give a clean install a go. May I double check that your paths on HI where roughly the same (/home/username/sites/public_html)?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Hi Liam

please let us see your Diagnostic Report from both servers (local and live). Just the short report is fine.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Actually I see that mine are the other way round to yours, 'sites' comes before the domain name:

PERCH_PATH: /home/sites/domain-name.co.uk/public_html/perch