Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Error

Problem logging on to perch

Hello

I cannot seem to logon to my clients perch. The saved password is incorrect somehow and I am receiving no emails when I try to reset it. I have checked all spam/junk folders.

Thank you Denise

Denise Courtney

Denise Courtney 0 points

• 6 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Then you need to make sure that the server is sending email - you should raise a ticket with your host.

Hello Rachel

the response back from my host was that all was ok but I should do the following ...

"From what I can see the CMS has been set up to send the emails from courtneydesign@aol.com but AOL have an SMTP restriction in place and any unauthorised attempts will simply be rejected by their server.

This can be changed in the config.php file for the email to be sent with SMTP authorisation using the information provided at: https://docs.grabaperch.com/docs/installing-perch/configuration/email/

They do have an example of using Google Mail to set this up with which could be an option if you want to go with for this specific CMS set up. "

But because I was resetting password and I am nor receiving emails I cannot get past the login system to access the setting > email.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You don't need to log in to change your configuration. You change it in your config.php file.

I've tried that but it doesn't work. Tried with my aol mail and my google email.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

What "doesn't work" about it? You need to give us more information if you want help.

Hello Rachel and Drew.

I added some further info to the config.php file as suggested in the doc above. Tried first this with my aol

define('PERCH_EMAIL_FROM', 'courtneydesign@aol.com');
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_FROM_NAME', 'Denise Courtney');
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_METHOD', 'smtp');
define('PERCH_EMAIL_HOST', 'smtp.aol.com');
define('PERCH_EMAIL_AUTH', true);
define('PERCH_EMAIL_SECURE', 'ssl');

then tried my ggoglemail acc.

define('PERCH_EMAIL_FROM', 'courtneydesign@googlemail.com');
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_FROM_NAME', 'Denise Courtney');
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_METHOD', 'smtp');
define('PERCH_EMAIL_HOST', 'smtp.googlemail.com');
define('PERCH_EMAIL_AUTH', true);
define('PERCH_EMAIL_SECURE', 'ssl');
define('PERCH_EMAIL_PORT', 465);

but I am still receiving no emails when trying to reset the password and therefore unable to login.

There is nothing in my spam or junk either.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Were you setting a password with each of those?

I had a password for the user with aol address but couldn't remember it so I was trying to reset it but I am receiving nothing.

Thought it would then be worth trying to see if the password reset would work my google email just in case but no.

Denise

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I mean are you passing your SMTP password to those servers in the configuration? Is it missing from the config, or just in the examples pasted above?

I was missing the password, oops! But have included it now and still no password reset emails coming through.

Any ideas what the port would be for my aol or is just the default?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I think this is hopeless.

Do you have access to the database in order to reset the password manually?

yes I do. Will it be easy to locate? Could you give me any idea where to find it.

Thank you

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, in the perch2_users table. There's a userPassword column. For your user, change this to the following:

5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99

Your password will now be password

That was much easier, all logged in, thank you very much!

One quick question, Should I revert back to the original config.php file?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You need to fix your email issue, or this will happen again.