Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Populating other fields from content added like in the Blog Social Descriptions

Hi Guys,

Is there a way that we can make another field become populated based on what is added into an existing field. Similar to how the blog automatically populates the Social description and social title based on the title and excerpt you add into the blog page.

I have a section in my page details (using perch:pages) that contains an excerpt for each page, at the moment, I used the meta description as most instances this would have been the same, but following a shift in direction, we now want to customise the meta description and add a new field for the excerpt. I was hoping I could easily copy what was added in the existing meta description over to the new excerpt field, so not having to go through every page and copy/paste/update. This way it would be the same unless one was specifically edited.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Terry

Terry Upton

Terry Upton 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There isn't currently a way to do that, no. There's no explicit connection between the content regions on the page and the page attributes.

It would be from one page attribute to another. Essentially, in the first instance I am just duplicating id="meta_description" to id="summary" so in my templates I can use summary instead and ultimately have different content in each.

I could perhaps use a conditional, but ideally wanted to duplicate/replicate what was already in id="meta_description" field.

All are <perch:pages> tags

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

So between to fields in the same form? You can use

data-copy="field_to_copy"