Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Runway, Blog

Blog authors and staff profiles

I've got a project where I'm looking to set up a profile for each member of staff. I'd also like these staff members to be linked to the blog as authors.

With normal Perch I'd have to add each member of staff as a blog author (with CMS logins). The problem is, there will only be 5 or 6 staff members of >20 that will be writing blog posts. So to have to give logins out to everyone, mostly unnecessarily, and for them to be accessed through Apps > Blog > Authors feels a bit unintuitive.

Is Perch Runway able to solve this problem? i.e. can I set up staff members as a collection and link them to the blog app as authors (only if they are authors) that way?

Thanks,

Martin.

Martin Underhill

Martin Underhill 5 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

How will those authors write their blog posts without having a login?

That's a good point… I guess what I'm trying to do is to have one collection of content for profiles and if a member of staff is a blog author, for their profile to be associated with their author profile somehow.

In my head I see a list of staff profiles on a Staff page. Clicking on each would bring up more details (bigger photo, biography, etc.) as well as a list of any blog posts they'd written. When a member of staff writes a blog post, I'd like their summarised author details at the bottom of the post to link to that same individual staff member page.

Is that possible?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Use the same slug for both the staff profile and the author profile, and you should be good.

Brilliant! Thanks. I'd need runway for that, wouldn't I?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You'd need Runway for you collection - I thought you were asking about Runway?

I was, yep. Just wanted to double check I couldn't do that with normal Perch. Runway looks better and better all the time :)

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Right - normal Perch doesn't have collections.