Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Variables in repeater attribures

Hey there

I'm trying to pass in an external variable to a template that contains a value to be used in the 'max' attribute in a repeater.

So, this works as expected:

<perch:repeater id="courses" label="Courses" max="5">

So, I am setting a variable and calling the template like this:

<?php
    PerchSystem::set_var('max_items', 3);
    $courses_items = perch_content_custom('Course List', array(
        'template'=>'courses_list.html',
    'return-html' => true,
    )); 
    print_r($news_items);
?>

And my template has this:

<perch:repeater id="courses" label="Courses" max="<perch:content id="max_items"/>">

I was expecting the value from 'max_items' to be used but it results in nothing being output at all. Can it actually be used in that way? If I put the perch:content elsewhere in the template, it outputs the number no problem, so I know that bit is working. I'm just not sure if I can use the value as a value for an attribute.

Hope all that makes sense!

Michael Wilkinson

Michael Wilkinson 6 points

• 6 years ago

Michael, you can't use a tag within a tag. I have tried this sort of thing before. I am thinking what my solution was and if it comes to me I will post back. In the meantime I am sure Drew has a solution.

Robert Ketter

Michael Wilkinson

Registered Developer

Hi Robert

Yes that's what I thought but I thought I'd see if there was a way around. Thanks for the reply. Maybe if we combine heads we might have a solution in the distance!

Thanks again.

Michael

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There's no way to make that dynamic, currently.

Michael Wilkinson

Registered Developer

Ok, thanks Drew. I'll hard code it for now but I guess I can always return the data to an array and then output a set number if I need it.

Thanks, Michael