Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Cannot login after update to 2.8.34

I'm updating a site from 2.8.23 to 2.8.34 before upgrade to Perch 3. However, after the 2.8.34 upgrade, I cannot login even after running '/perch/core/update' in the browser. Is there another way that I can run the update? The update ran successfully on the staging server which is a sub-domain on the same host.

I have reverted back the live site.

Short diagnostics

Perch: 2.8.23, PHP: 5.6.33, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 76b08b24596e12d4553bd41fc93cccd5bac2fe7a $, with PDO
Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi
Installed apps: content (2.8.23), assets (2.8.23), categories (2.8.23), perch_blog (5.0)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = [ 'content', 'categories', 'perch_blog', ]; ?>
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
PERCH_PATH: /home/grindkit/public_html/perch
PERCH_CORE: /home/grindkit/public_html/perch/core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /home/grindkit/public_html/perch/resources
Image manipulation: GD
PHP limits: Max upload 2M, Max POST 8M, Memory: 32M, Total max file upload: 2M
F1: dc1fef2ad0fcd9f943c02ebb43d85dbc
Resource folder writeable: Yes
DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/grindkit/public_html
HTTP_HOST: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php
Clive Walker

Clive Walker 22 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What are you seeing when you try to log in?

The login page just reloads.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Does the same happen locally?

No, the update runs fine on local.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Hi Clive,

When the login page reloads, does the url change to something like: perch/?r=%2Fperch%2Fcore%2Fapps%2Fcontent%2F ? If so, there were a few having issues like this around the Perch 2.8.23 - 2.8.34 versions.

Other threads on this issue have comments such as: Check your error log and check that PHP sessions are working.

Does the error log shed any light on the issue?

The login page URL was something like this perch/?r=%2Fperch%2Fcore%2Fdashboard but I didn't keep an exact note of it.

There's nothing obvious from the error log.

PHP sessions were OK before the upgrade.

I will probably either update directly from 2.8.23 to 3.0.12 or copy over the Perch 3 database from staging site. Neither ideal but these would seem to be the options at this stage.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

That means you're successfully authenticating and then immediately being thrown back out, which indicates issues with the session storage.

Quick update on this in case anyone else has the same issue. Web hosting support were not able to confirm session storage issue and reported that sessions were being generated and stored in the correct location. However, they were not able to identify any other problem and the error log was clean.

In the end, I updated the site directly to Perch 3.0.13 and this has resolved the problem.