Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Runway

Runway collections - filter related select list

I have a project that will start in a couple of months and I'm unsure how to approach one aspect of it.

Collection 1 (players) will have 2000+ individual items, each belonging to a number of categories (seasons played).
Collection2 (games) will have individual items for each game and will have a relationship to Collection 1 - the players will be selected to record who played in each game.

Once Collection 1 has been fully populated, choosing the players per game will mean selecting from a list of 2000+ items... There is one related tag per position in the team for the game.

I've played around with a few different things, but can't find a way to do this - ideally it would be great to somehow introduce a category filter (only bring out the players who have the category that covers the season the game was played in) - but I'm aware how difficult that would be to implement, especially as the season of the game won't be known until the game has been saved. I think I could get round some of that with a custom app, but it would be nice to keep the data in collections.

Am I thinking along the right lines for this - or do you know of a sneaky way to achieve a workable solution?

Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

So are you looking to filter based on one of the other fields in the same form?

Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points
Registered Developer

Yes for this instance - one of the "season" categories could be applied to a game, then use that to filter the list of players that come through. Potentially.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The multiple-select fields in Runway 3 are using Selectize. It looks like that has various options for dynamically filtering the options. Do you think anything along those lines would work?

https://selectize.github.io/selectize.js/

Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points
Registered Developer

It certainly looks like it could work.

For my example, maybe use the category selection as the seed for a second dropdown (calling the data asynchronously form the collection?)

But yes, it could.