Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions, Blog

Perch Blog app - what features / changes would you like to see?

The Perch Blog app is our most often use (and possibly abused!) add-on. As we look forward to future development of the add-on and where we'd like to take it, what features or changes would you most like to see?

We're not about to come out with a new release tomorrow, but rather just looking at what sort of things we might want to implement at a future date.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points

• 3 years ago
Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points
Registered Developer

Hi Drew,

The only things I've needed is custom fields available in search results!

Hi Drew,

A micropub endpoint to make posting with apps possible would be a great addition.

Maybe better terminology and/or organisation of the settings in the Meta and Social tab. I don't think 'Allow comments', 'Post type', 'Section' etc are really Meta data (at least from the end-users point of view) and should probably live in a Settings tab.

Additionally I think there should be a Meta Description field by default.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

A micropub endpoint to make posting with apps possible would be a great addition.

Looking at the spec, it seems like an article has a single field called content for the content. That seems a bit naive, and I'm not sure how useful it would be with a structured content CMS.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Did you mean to post that here, René? I'm looking for feedback on the Blog app in this thread.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

No problem!

A luxury, but would be nice if I could customize the 'item list columns' in the admin like how the regular multi-item regions can. Some ideas for other fields may be number of comments on the post, which section the post is in, author, or custom fields added to the master template.

Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points
Registered Developer

Hello Drew,

In the control panel currently we can filter by Category. It would be nice to be able to filter by tag as well. Not necessary though.

After approving a comment, it would be useful to be able to click on a link to see the relevant post on the live site. In order to review the comment discussion.

From a few recent projects I'd say integration with the new content import APIs would be a huge help, the current ways are pretty basic. Posterous shut down nearly 5 years ago so this could be removed to clean up any underlying code (unless anyone is still using it?)

The ability to add authors outside of CMS users, for guest authors and such. You can add custom fields but it would be nice to work with the _author() methods. Unless this does exist, I haven't checked recently

From a UI point of view, long post titles can cause issues with the breadcrumb smartbar tabs (though this can happen anywhere) - maybe these could be truncated at a reasonable length.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Posterous shut down nearly 5 years ago so this could be removed to clean up any underlying code (unless anyone is still using it?)

This isn't really adding any overhead, but you're right, I'm sure no one needs it now.

The ability to add authors outside of CMS users, for guest authors and such.

How would they post without a user account?

Ryan Gittings said: The only things I've needed is custom fields available in search results!

+1

I have a couple of clients who have guest authors but don't want to allow access to the CMS, so this would be handy for me too.

It wouldn't so much be for posting, similar to Toby in this case of one client they receive guest posts via another form and write the post up under another author's name. It could be that if an account is made that has the same identifiable information as an author, such as the email address they could be linked at that point, or a manual selection in the edit author screen.

One I've just encountered, the ability to move multiple posts to blog sections/categories, a kind of mass edit.

Also related, an easier way of making a post in a specific section. It would make more sense logically (at least for me) to set the section before you start writing the post, perhaps setting the section when picking the post template.

A couple of configuration things that are on my wishlist:

• I'm moving to doing more with webmentions (thanks to your excellent post), so the ability to disable comments sitewide, or set the initial "Allow comments" status to unchecked, would be great
  • Some kind of configuration over what appears on the post tab and the "Meta and Social" tab. I make heavy use of tags, and having to go to a separate tab to fill that out is a bit of a pain. Also I always forget to fill out the "Meta Description" field.

A few notes

• It'd be useful to be able to display just the perch_blog_tags() and perch_blog_date_archive_years() for a single category.
  • It'd be great if this could be fixed: Categories disappear when meta is saved?
  • Give a user access to just the blog, nothing else. This would be useful for collections too. I've had clients request this in the past.

It would be really nice to see how many people are viewing a blog post. Similar to seeing how many comments are under a post, implementation of how many views would be ideal.