Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration

mulit-language site

I'm setting up my first multi-language site using option #1 from this page I am trying to be as organized as possible to avoid any issues with the setup. In that regard, I am posting here in the hopes that someone with experience in this set up, or perhaps Drew or Rachel will let me know if I am on the right path with my set up. I am starting with 3 languages and will be most likely be adding languages as the site moves forward.

The way I see it, I have 3 shared regions on all pages for each language.

1. header
  2. footer
  3. navigation

Each language will have distinct pages with content unique to that area. So, I think the best setup in perch would be the following. Any thoughts, comments or better suggestions are greatly appreciated.

At my root level set up the following directories

• En/
  • ES/
  • FR/

Perch – within perch set up the following directories.

Content - One set of content templates

Layout

• EN/ global.header & global.footer
  • ES/ global.header & global.footer
  • FR/ global.header & global.footer

Pages – Do I need to do this? Or can I use one set of page templates and use something else to get the correct navigation/header/footer to show based on the path to the page? IE: Create a page set the path of the page to domain/com/en/page.php -- and somehow use the en/ directory to let the page know which header/footer/navigation to show? (not being a programmer, it's the "somehow" part I will need help with) OR is setting up specific page templates as shown below the best/"easiest" way to go about this?

• EN/ --home page, structured interior, freeform interior --- Includes layout/en/ global.header & global.footer
  • ES/ --home page, structured interior, freeform interior --- Includes layout/es/ global.header & global.footer
  • FR/ --home page, structured interior, freeform interior --- Includes layout/fr/ global.header & global.footer

Navigation

• EN/ nav files for English
  • ES/ nav files for English
  • FR/ nav files for English

Using the setup I'm describing I believe I don't need to worry about setting page attributes and page titles as described here, correct? Any/ALL comments and help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Kim Mazzola

Kim Mazzola 0 points

• 4 years ago

Ok, so I started setting things up as above. I created a test page. Set the path to /en/home.php and then created the page and content. I get a 404 when trying to view the page. I set the path to /home/php and update and the page shows. When I reset the path and choose move page to this location, it gets moved, but shows as a blank page.

1. the en/ directory exists at the root level
  2. the page has content
  3. the templates all worked when creating the page.

hmmmm ... frustrating.

Ben Furfie

Ben Furfie 3 points
Registered Developer

If no one else has helped within the next couple of hours, I'll reply. Just working on a project at the moment. :)

Ben, Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you. As you can see I already hit a stumbling block.

Ben Furfie

Ben Furfie 3 points
Registered Developer

No problem. I remember the pain from the first time I developed a multilanguage site.