Forum

Thread tagged as: FoxyCart, Shop

Foxycart change to Perch Shop

I have a customer using perch for creating products within perch and tying in with foxycart (Foxycart addon) for checkout and payment (stripe). Selling physical shippable products and subscriptions for the products, this is works fine but would like to simplify the amount of tools used.

It makes sense to use the new Perch Shop using Stripe for payments, so wouldn't be too much of a change from current setup and would remove the need for Foxycart. But! subscriptions are still needing to be sold. Using custom fields for a product could I not have the fields populate the Stripe API code:

curl https://api.stripe.com/v1/plans \
  -u sk_test_BQokikJOvBiI2HlWgH4olfQ2: \
  -d amount=20 \
  -d interval=month \
  -d id=gold \
  -d currency=gb \
  -d name="Amazing Gold Plan" 

https://stripe.com/subscriptions

Then Stripe handles the rest, it would show as an order in perch but the rest you would have to see/manage via stripe. I presume this would still be ok if someone added to basket a non subscription product and a subscription product?

Really want to move things across to be handled by perch. I know full subscription support is on the wish list but wondered if there was a way to start now and update things when perch fully handles subscriptions.

Appreciate your advice on this one.

Mark Watts

Mark Watts 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I think the main sticking point is the distinction between a product and an order. When you checkout with Stripe, you're paying for the order, which will consist of one or more products. Some of those could be subscriptions, some not.

So you think it could work and it's worth me trying to setup a test site to try it on?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Do you intend to have mixed carts, or is it all subscriptions?

I've checked orders (2014 to date) and no one has ever done a mixed order (product/subscription). The site sells either the product in whatever qty or you can buy it as a subscription, but everything is listed and setup as a separate product:

• Product A (a qty you want)
  • Product A Quarterly Subscription
  • Product A Annually Subscription

So I guess options might be:

1. Cart that handles mixed (although this may be an issue and no bodies ordered mixed yet)

2. Or a cart for products and one for subscriptions (and explain you can only buy subscriptions separately)

3. or another idea you've got?

Client is now happy to do just annual subscription and add other subscriptions when Perch Shop can facilitate. So no need to worry about the above, yeh!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Good result! Sorry for the delay, you got buried somehow.

No worries, thanks for your help.