Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Installation, Configuration

Git Setup.

I'm just launching into my first Perch build and was interested to know if there are any recommendations about what to .gitignore. Also what's a good approach to managing or even synchronizing local and live databases?

Thanks

Mark Phoenix

Mark Phoenix 0 points

• 6 years ago

Not aware of anything you need to gitignore. Note that the perch/core directory is .gitignored by default so you´ll need to deal with that outwith git. To update just delete/replace the perch/core directory. For managing your databases between dev, staging and production see the docs about using the switch statement in the docs. multi server config

I personally treat database sync as a separate workflow to developing the site, using workbench to manage the mysql dump files.

Good luck

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There is a default .gitignore in the perch/core folder, but you can remove it. It's just to help prevent accidental pushing to public repos.

Thanks. So would you recommend using git to push up the perch/core files, or is it best to FTP them up and keep the .gitignore in place on the local build? And I'm planning to .gitignore the config files and use Deploy to, well, deploy them. Good idea?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I would (and do) put everything into git. FTP is messy.

Will do. Thanks Drew. Also liking the podcast very much.