Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Suggestions, Forms

Form captcha for Perch Forms

Any recommendations on what's the easiest way to integrate a form capture to perch forms?

Richy Thomas

Richy Thomas 0 points

• 4 years ago

Richy, I am pretty sure this is not possible with perch forms due to the way forms processes submissions. Have you tried using a honeypot if your having spam issues?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What problem are you attempting to solve with the captcha?

Client feels that their forms are not secure and that they are going to attract lots of spam registrations/form entries if there isn't a visible form captcha

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Have you tried Akismet for this?

Yes I'm using Akismet .. and there not getting any spam.

But you know what clients are like .. unless they can see the form captcha that they see everywhere else on the web then they're not happy.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It sounds like they're trying to solve a problem they don't have, and in the worst way - by pushing that problem onto their customers with a captcha.

Good luck, I don't have any suggestions that might help.

Tell your customers that NOT having a captcha will improve the form's usability and number of likely responses. You could also say that many form bots have worked out how to beat captcha anyway. In most cases I find that Perch Form's own honeypot stops everything spammy, but I've used Akismet in one or two places where the junk still arrives sometimes.

Honeypot works well in my experience. Also, just having a simple question that needs human intervention on the form can sometimes help.