Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

Password reset email, link has always expired immediately

Hi

At Perch login I am clicking 'reset password' as I can't recall it, the emial arrives and I click the link (immediately the email arrives, which in turn arrives in seconds) and I get the message, link has expired, please try again. ried in three different browsers so don't think it's that.

Can't log in for the diags report but have just upgraded to the latest version and upgraded to latest blog, events and gallery. I then uploaded, did the setup, everything seemed to go OK and finally clicked the link to log in and it didn't like my pwd (which I was pretty sure I had right).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers - Mark

mark buckley

mark buckley 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

When you try to log in, do you see an error message?

No, just clears the username and password fields...

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It sounds like your sessions aren't working on the server.

Hmmm, my other sites all seem to be working fine (on same server). If that were the case do you think it could be isolated to this site. And if it were, what exactly does that mean - "sessions aren't working on server"?

Cheers - Mark

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Have you checked your error log?

It sounds like you're logging in correctly and then being thrown back out immediately. Otherwise you'd have an error message explaining your password was incorrect.

I think you're likely right there Drew.

Which particular error log do you have in mind?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

The PHP error log.

Hi Rachel, thanks for this. I have to say it's very frustrating, lost the afternoon here. Lots of Perch sites and never seen this before.

Can you give me an idea where this PHP error log might be lurking please?

Many thanks - Mark

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You need to be asking your host these questions, as we have no idea where your site is hosted or how that server might be configured.

Well, i'd let you have the diags report if i could log in :o)

So, I'll say to the host the following:

1. I'm told my sessions aren't working and
  2. DO you know where my PHP error log is please?

Is that right?

Many thanks as ever.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Diagnostics still wouldn't tell me anything about your error log.

A good place to start would be your hosting docs and control panel, but if you need to speak to them then yes, ask what you need to do to check that sessions are working correctly.

Sorry, you mentioned you had no idea how my server is configured and I thought that diagnostics would give you some info on how it is configured.

I have a support ticket with the host saying that you think the sessions aren't working, so we'll hopefully see what they say on that front.

Not really sure what you mean by hosting docs and control panel.

Looks like we've drawn a blank on this one then, unless the host can come up with something.

It just seems odd to me that my 27 other Perch sites on the same server are working fine.

Hey ho...

Thanks for all your help Drew, have a good evening.

Cheers - Mark

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

As you have 27 other Perch sites, you'll appreciate that the problem is unlikely to be Perch, else they'd be exhibiting the same behaviour.

:o) I'm not sure I quite follow your logic there. I could equally well say that as they are all on the same server and all the others work fine, it's most likely to be somethnig wrong with the site, especially as I just upgraded it to the latest versions and it was fine before.

Hey ho, I'm sure I'll manage somehow or other and I'll be sure to let you know the outcome for the futherance of human understanding.

Most likely just a silly end-user!

Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Cheers - Mark

Hi Drew/Rachel, I've heard back a couple of times from my host support guys and here's the latest... (they also have the login credentials for this perch site and can replicate the issue)

They say:

No error messages are being presented to the server.

We've got Mod_security and also the cache off for this domain and the login doesn't work. https://grabaperch.com/requirements seems to have a compatibility tester. Has this been used?

The PHP on the account can be setup exactly how you require it, normally the web application creators can let you know how that needs to be.

For completeness I have run the compatability test but there is no issue there.

Any ideas?

Meanwhile, I have said to them:

I have lots of other websites on the same server working fine using grabaperch(Perch) and none have this problem although we did need to switch the cache off on many of them to fix a different Perch issue.

Generally speaking I’ve been using Perch for about six years and never seen this issue before. The support guru at Perch says there’s a problem with my 'sessions' and therefore it must be at the server end. I don’t know what ‘sessions’ are.

I have run the test you pointed out and received the following back:

[cid:image002.png@01D29436.31918190] [image showing test passed]

Is there anything specific you think i should ask them?

Sorry about the large font, not sure what happened there (i used hyphens to delimit the quotes)

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Let us know what they come back with.

Hi Drew

I have been in dialogue with my hosting guys. They are aware that I have about twenty other Perch websites working fine in the same account on the same server (ie with the same settings). They asked me for a specific other addon domain whose settings they could check and compare with the problematic one.

Here is their latest reply:

==== Having checked these domains they both are under the same account and therefore under exactly the same PHP setup, rules etc.

The problem has to be with the install of perch as the other accounts, within the same setup are working correctly.

Now, I realise that this is at odds with what you are saying but I am (as you'll imagine) keen to move this forward now. Are there any other checks that you can think of that they can run form their end? As mentioned at the beginning of the problem, this all kicked off when I upgraded to the latest version of Perch.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Running out of ideas at this end.

Thanks for all your help on this one.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

When you logged in after updating, what happened?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Did you follow this note in the updates:

Note: if you can’t log in after updating, go to /perch/core/update in your browser so the updater can run. Then you’ll be able to log in.