Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Installation

Can't login after update from 2.8.24 to 3.0.14

I cloned a website to another server to try updating before doing it on the live site.
When logging in before updating everything works fine. After copying the core folder of 3.0.14 into perch and updating the Perch Forms app. I get the login form alright, but after putting in my credentials and clicking log in, I just get the login form again. No error message. Neither in the frontend (even debug looks fine), nor in the console (other than that the page is not protected by SSL). The URL then reads "https://sub.mydomain.com/perch/?r=%2Fperch%2Fcore%2Fapps%2Fcontent%2F".
Any steps I am missing updating from Perch 2 to 3?
I would try to update to an earlier version of Perch 3, if I could find the download for that.
Many thanks!

Nils Mielke

Nils Mielke 3 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You need to upgrade to 2.8.34 before upgrading to any version of 3.

B K

B K 0 points

I had the same problem after changing my php version from 7.0 to 7.1. I'm running perch 2.7.6

Thanks, Drew.
Had something along those lines in the back of my head, but couldn't find any info and needed a while to figure out, that there is no dedicated download page for older version, but the "Download v2" button in the Perch account. :\

Now I get the following error, though:
Fatal error: Call to a member function find_app_title() on boolean in /[…]/perch/core/templates/layout/sidebar.php on line 40

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

there is no dedicated download page for older version, but the "Download v2" button in the Perch account

That's the dedicated download page for both versions of Perch you have access to.

Now I get the following error, though

In you 2.8.34 install? Or have you skipped over that?

Now I get the following error, though

In you 2.8.34 install? Or have you skipped over that?

I updated from 2.8.24 to 2.8.34 without issues.
Now, when I update from 2.8.34 to 3.0.14 I get the fatal error.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I updated from 2.8.24 to 2.8.34 without issues.

Did you log in for the update to run successfully?

I might have done the update while logged in.
Logging out and back in again doesn't change anything. I still get the error.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You rolled back the site and database, did the upgrade to 2.8.34, logged in, then upgraded to 3.0.14 all within the space of a minute?

What do you mean? I only discribed, what I did earlier today.
Can you hint me in the right direction, what would be the best way to update from 2.8.24 to 2.8.34 to 3.0.14. Do I have to be logged out, for instance?
I'll roll back the whole installation to v2.8.24 and then follow the suggested steps meticulously.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Have you followed the upgrading docs? https://docs.grabaperch.com/perch/upgrading/

I did. I think, I was logged in the whole time, though.
I will retry and report back.

Nope, logging out before updating and upgrading and logging in after each step doesn't solve the problem. I still get nothing but the error when I am on Perch 3.0.14.
Here's a screnshot: Error message after upgrading from Perch 2.8.34 to 3.0.14

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

What's in your perch3_menu_items table?

I found my mistake.
Here's what happened: First try upgrading I did 2.8.24 to 3.0.14 directly. You pointed my in the right direction with updating to 2.8.34 first, but I overlooked rolling back the database to the good ol' 2.8.24 times. So every time I retried, I rolled back to the corrupted 2.8.24 / 3.0.14 database. That's what triggered the error. Starting fresh with a genuine 2.8.24 backup solved the problem.
Sorry for stealing you time, Drew, and may thanks for your endurance.