Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Docs

Breadcrumbs only showing first page

Hi,

I am trying to output the route for my breadcrumbs, I have added two sub pages to an item yet I only get the portfolio page in breadcrumbs.

After following the portfolio video guide to get used to use the advanced side of Perch I once again come up against very slim docs.

Is there something special or hidden from the docs I need to do to route correct?

Regards

<div class="page-header">
            <div class="uk-container uk-container-center">
            <div class="uk-grid uk-flex uk-flex-middle uk-margin-top uk-margin-bottom">
            <div class="uk-width-medium-1-2">
                <h2><?php perch_pages_title(); ?></h2>
            </div>
                <div class="uk-width-1-2 uk-float-right"><?php perch_pages_breadcrumbs(); ?></div>
            </div>
            </div>
        </div>
Alec Sharples

Alec Sharples 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Do you see the pages listed in your Pages list in Perch?

Hi,

Yes Sir, I have created two sub pages under portfolio.

Portfolio

Sub pages > Category & Casestudy

Regards

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

What do your routes look like?

Hi

This is the issue I am trying to work out, it does not follow a route.

If you follow the path from my current dev server you will notice it have many routes and not one path.

https://fineline-new.fineline-websolutions.co.uk/portfolio/

Regards

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

So does the page /portfolio/Print/ exist? I seems unlikely as Perch wouldn't allow the uppercase letter.

Hi Drew,

Please ignore the sidebar, that is my next support question. This is about the breadcrumbs :)

Use the portfolio items, I have the breadcrumbs on each page yet it does not output the route.

Regards Alex

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

How would I get to any subpages? I don't understand how your site is supposed to be working.

Please hover on any of the two projects images!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ah, ok! So I get to the page casestudy/cig-gafr-conwy. Is that a page? Or is it dynamic?

Hi Drew,

That is dynamic, I add them in the admin via portfolio. I have used your video guide to get me started and plenty of help.

I was expecting it to read portfolio > casestudy > client name.

Thank you.

Alex

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ok, that's why there's no breadcrumbs - they're not pages, so they're not in the navigation structure and can't be output with navigation functions.

Hi Drew,

If they are in the pages list how can they NOT be pages?

https://www.fineline-websolutions.co.uk/fl-brand/images/pages.png

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You don't want to output literally 'Category' in your breadcrumbs, do you?

No,

Portfolio > Casestudy > Client name.

I should be able to remove the category from the page route and have it as above.

At this time I get none other than the portfolio page.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'm not sure how else to explain this. The data you're trying to return does not exist in the navigation structure.

Drew McLellan said:

I'm not sure how else to explain this. The data you're trying to return does not exist in the navigation structure.

Drew,

Can you confirm that pages do not exist in the navigation structure?

Regards

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Pages exist in navigation. The names of your clients and the names of your categories do not.

Hi Drew,

Great, but why is casestudy not showing which is a page?

Is this a limitation of Perch and would Runway allow me to route all these items into the breadcrumb?

Kind Regards

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Are any pages set to be hidden?

Hi Drew,

Ok I had it hidden from navigation, that was another to add to my learning list :)

I do have an idea about adding the client name to the end of the breadcrumb. is there any way to bring in a region from another part of the CMS and add it in a custom breadcrumb template?

For example the client name region, i did try and add it the normal way but it displays blank.

Thank you very much for your time,