Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Forms

Filter approach question.

Hello,

I've got a project coming up and I'd really appreciate some advice on how to approach it.

I need to create a user filterable search that checks criteria such as manufacturer.

The user filterable search solution in your documentation looks great but I'd need to get the options for the select dynamically so the admin can add manufacturers themselves somewhere in the admin. Is that where categories would come in? Would they add a manufacturer set and add each manufacturer eg) Sony as a category and then pull that into the select?

Sorry if this is a silly question. Not done this through Perch before and can't get the logic straight in my head.

Thanks,

John.

John Robinson

John Robinson 7 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

It wouldn't have to be categories, but you could use those. The simple answer is yes, you can dynamically generate the select list.

Great thanks Drew. Appreciate you replying on a Saturday.

If I didn't use categories would I just build the select from a multi-item region?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You'd need Runway to do that, but yes you could.

Starting to think Runway would be ideal for this project.

Another requirement is to show "related items" under a product in a similar way to the way it's done on Amazon.

So under an inkjet printer there might be the cables you'd need for it and replacement ink cartridges. Can you create relationships like that in Runway?

I've just spotted the related items tutorials/videos so that's answered my question.