Forum

Thread tagged as: Runway

To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Congratulations to the Perch folks on their release of Perch 3!

However, today's news puts me in a bit of a pickle because I am just a couple of days away from pushing a Perch 2 Runway site from local DEV to Staging so the client can look at it. This project has taken longer than expected and I don't want to risk more delay.

On the other hand, I'm betting once we go live it will be a hard sell to advocate for a major upgrade any time soon.

Anybody encounter any pitfalls so far with Runway, in particular Collections? From what I'm seeing in the Forum, it sounds pretty smooth.

Joel Davies

Joel Davies 0 points

• 4 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

There shouldn't be any major issue - the core functionality hasn't changed. You could always make a copy of your local environment to do the upgrade on so you can have a check around first.

Hi Joel,

Quick note that I updated a Runway site to 3.0 yesterday with 5 collections with over 1,000 piece of content and using Perch form app and had no issue at all. I'd give an upgrade a go. I plan to update a couple more sites today. Plus it'll help if you need support to stay on the current version.

Just make a backup and test locally first, like Rachel said, to be safe.

Thanks, Scott and Rachel!

On the basis of the Site Behind Login feature I decided to make the leap. I'm hoping that will save me having to worry about dupe content issues as client reviews the site over the next couple days.

Upgrade was very easy; took less than 30 minutes, and I encountered no problems! Woo hoo!

It actually took me longer to tweak the Control Panel CSS (about 75 minutes) -- I wanted to increase the contrast of the nearly invisible shaded backgrounds and tweak the overlarge .template-help font-size.