Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

PHP - new version?

Hi there

I've just received this email from my host, could you let me know if it's anything I need to be weary off in regard to Perch not working?

On Monday 3rd April 2017 we will be updating all shared servers to PHP version 5.6.30. This update is in preparation for updating to PHP 7.x which we have scheduled for September 2017.

As the website owner, it is your responsibility to ensure your code will work on PHP 5.6.30 before we update the servers. We also suggest you check your code will be able to run on PHP 7.x.x. As more changes are likely to be required for this we are providing over 6 months notice of this change to enable you to have the time to update your applications as required.

Many thanks

Rich

Rich Hemery

Rich Hemery 0 points

• 4 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

We are right up to date with the latest PHP so this should not be a problem at all, we recommend PHP 7 anyway. Requirements are on the download page https://grabaperch.com/download

Thank you Rachel, I meant more specifically, will my host upgrading to 5.6.30 affect any existing Perch websites I have hosted? I have a version on 2.4 that is due a rebuild that will be coming soon and a move to a new host but was wondering if there was any danger going to 5.6. would take it down or whatever the terminology is!

Hopefully that made sense!

Regards

Rich

It would be advisable to test the existing site on a local server running the version of the PHP your host is upgrading to. It can break things in my experience but it's hard to know from site to site.

Ah, I don't have the knowledge to do that. I'll hope it's not affected, we'll just have to wait and see!

Hosts sometimes give you the ability to change the version of PHP on the fly. If that's the case you could test it live by switching to the latest version and then flipping back if you see errors. But you should really try to work on at least a staging version of your site. Working on a live site gives me the heeby-geebies. Best of luck!