Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Discussion

What are the options to create two blogs in one Perch site?

This question is for all Perchers, not just Drew and Rachel. All ideas are welcome!

If I want to create two blogs on one Perch site how can I do it?

On the front-end they each need separate categories and tags. On the back-end there can be some co-mingling if necessary (e.g. one big list of categories), but on the front-end I'd like to display only categories relating to Blog A in the Blog A view, and only the categories relating to Blog B in the Blog B view. Same thing for tags.

Oh, and I need to import two Wordpress blogs, one into each of the Perch blogs. I'm comfortable adapting Perch's import script if necessary.

Years ago I duplicated the Blog app and although I got it working it was a horrible mess I'm not likely to try again.

Has anyone done this (two blogs / one Perch) and how did you do it? Blog app? Multi-item regions? Perch Runway collections?

Any un-tested ideas? I can write some PHP if needed (but I'm no whiz, hence the topic). I'm just wondering if there is an approach I haven't considered yet.

I'm already invested in Perch on a particular project and need to make this work somehow.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Kirk Roberts

Kirk Roberts 0 points

• 6 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Thanks, Rachel. Can the sections functionality separate out the categories and tags on the front-end?

That doesn't seem to work: https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/03-30-2015-cant-get-perch-blog-categories-to-filter-by-section

(I decided to post this separate thread as a community resource in case others are looking to accomplish the same thing.)

Update: at this time Blog doesn't separate tags or categories by section. I ended up pulling all the posts for a section, looping through them to find all unique categories, then making a categories list from that. Probably better (more performant) ways to do it, but it met the display requirement on a deadline.