Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

a perch 3 - add multiple assets?

Am I missing something? Under assets : add an asset (perch 3) I can only select 1 asset at a time to upload? Is that correct behaviour? Thanks.

Charlie Elsey

Charlie Elsey 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You can drop multiple assets onto the grid to upload.

Sorry Drew that does not work for me... I presume you are talking drag and drop? or copy and paste? neither work for me I'm afraid. Is it not possible to select multiple files from the 'add asset' interface?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I mean drag and drop. When the modal opens, just drop a bunch of files onto it.

As I said, that does not work for me in any browser. I have tried drag and drop files direct to the grid view of a bucket; and drag and drop onto the upload icon in the 'add assets' dialogue - nothing happens for me.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

When you say nothing happens, how many uploads are you performing and how long are you waiting for them to complete?

Ok I've tried it with 3 very small image files (max 6kb each) - after some time (3 minutes) it appears to have worked BUT I was not able to upload to a specific bucket... they just show with thumbnail in the general assets grid view.

In perch admin I selected Assets : the target bucket I wanted ... and then drag and dropped to there. Is that the right way to do it?

IF I upload individual files via the 'add assets' dialogue to a specific bucket that works fine BUT I see no thumbnail image for those files.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'd expect 6kb images to transfer almost immediately. How big are those in terms of pixel dimensions?

images in question are max 40 pixels x 40 pixels

To be clear

single upload of asset by 'select a file' route to a selected bucket works BUT no thumbnail shows in assets in any view

batch upload of assets by drag and drop to grid view of selected bucket FAILS, but eventually uploads to the generic assets, NOT selected bucket and you see no feedback in interface to show success

might problem be that you require a title for assets single file upload, batch upload affords no opportunity to assign a title?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You'll not get thumbnails for those images, as they're smaller than the thumbnail size.

Drew McLellan said:

You'll not get thumbnails for those images, as they're smaller than the thumbnail size.

OK but how do I batch upload several files to a specific bucket, as currently that fails, just ends up in 'general' assets

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It should upload to the bucket specified by the template tag. Is that not happening?

I am not talking about adding assets via a template but rather adding several assets in one go directly to assets from the add assets dialogue. For many of my users this makes sense to them - upload direct to assets, then select them from assets when they need them when editing.

Sorry but I think I shall wait until assets is updated in Perch 3 before upgrading.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Just a note: you need to click 'Add asset' and drag the files to the 'drop zone'.

Simon Clay said:

Just a note: you need to click 'Add asset' and drag the files to the 'drop zone'.

yes I know that and if you try to add several assets at once to a specific bucket it does not work... - no feed back from interface to say 'success' - and the assets do not end up in the specified bucket

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Thanks Charlie, I am seeing what you mean.

Drew, just to help clarification. I have tested this and find that in Assets (not region template):

1) Drag and drop to Assets grid view - works

2) Drag and drop to Assets by Bucket grid view - does not work

3) Drag and drop is not an option when selecting + Add asset

Here are quick screen videos to demonstrate:

1) Drag and drop to Assets grid view - works Drag and drop to Assets grid view

2) Drag and drop to Assets by Bucket grid view - does not work Drag and drop to Assets Bucket grid view

3) Drag and drop is not an option when selecting + Add asset Drag and drop is not an option

Thanks Simon, you are much better at this stuff than me ;)

I am liking everything about perch V3 except this assets stuff :(

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Filtering the view by a bucket doesn't set the upload destination.

Drew McLellan said:

Filtering the view by a bucket doesn't set the upload destination.

and that's the problem for users who would like to add several assets to a specific bucket!

Simon's points are valid IMO

2) Drag and drop to Assets by Bucket grid view - does not work

3) Drag and drop is not an option when selecting + Add asset

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'm not saying it's not a valid idea, and I'm not saying that I won't consider adding it.

What I'm saying is that what you're describing is something new that doesn't exist.

This doesn't work either way for me... even following Simon's video above. There seems to be no way to upload multiple asset images at once.