Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Error

Can't find link to Compatibility Test

I can no longer find a link to the Compatibility Test on grabaperch.com. Documentation says it lives on https://grabaperch.com/requirements, but that URL now redirects to https://grabaperch.com/download -- which does not have a link to the test.

Joel Davies

Joel Davies 0 points

• 4 years ago
Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points
Registered Developer

The compatibility test is now included as the first step of the Perch/Runway 3 setup script.

Thanks Duncan!

I know that the Perch crew have said they are working their way through the documentation with v3 updates. I hope this item is on the list. What's mildly confusing to me may be a roadblock to a newbie.

Also, now that I think about it, while folding the compatibility test into the package is probably great for first-time installs, it's less than ideal for my situation.

I am trying to move a completed local dev version of Runway 3 to a staging server so the client can play with it. I've made a bunch of customizations to the site structure: renaming the /perch/ folder and moving the /resources/ into root.

With a stand-alone test, I could just test the staging server, then upload my site files and DB. With a built-in test, I have to upload an entire default Runway payload, then either delete it or reconfigure it back to my customizations. Extra work.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Surely you know the spec of your server by that point?

The server compatibility test was always more for us than for you - it prevented a proportion of completely non-technical users buying the software, finding they had incompatible hosting and asking for a refund. (Refunds cost us dearly.)

But if a stand-alone test is useful for some reason, then I'm sure we can put one together.

It's a subdomain I just spun up; just wanted to check that there wouldn't be issues with it communicating with the mysql server.

Actually Drew a stand-alone test might be useful in certain circumstances.

We're in discussion with a new client about a Perch based site. Their IT Director will be spinning up, configuring, and managing both their stage and production servers. I've given him Perch's requirements which he says shouldn't be a problem.

But it would be so handy to send him a stand-alone test tool and ask him to confirm all is OK before trying to deploy. It might save some heated conversations. I'm also trying to persuade him that Perch is a better choice than WordPress but that's another story...