Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Error, Forms

Not receiving form submissions. It used to work

Hi,

One of our clients aren't receiving form submissions. But submissions are stored correctly in Perch Last time we updated the site it worked fine, and we haven't done any changes since then.

And here is the really strange part: When I submitted the form, it goes through but with a 5min to 1 hour delay. When the client submits, it doesn't (the first test was 15 hours ago.) When using the "Test email settings" it goes through but with a 5min to 1 hour delay.

I've spoken to (mt) support, and they claim it's problem with the email script in Perch?

Any idea what it could be?

Cheers, Dan

Dan Andersen

Dan Andersen 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

This sounds very much like a deliverability issue.

Have you tested using something like mailtrap.io? That catches all the email and also gives you excellent reports on e.g. whether a message looks like spam.

Thanks Drew, that´s what i thought, but according to (mt) support it wasn´t.

Not sure how to test with mailtrap, but I´ll try to figure it out.

FYI, I used this code in the form template, so that the response was forwarded to the correct person base on a selection the user made from the dropdown in the form. Could that somehow cause the problem?

<div class="field options"> <i></i>
    <perch:label for="service"></perch:label>
    <perch:input type="select" id="product-service" name="Service option" label="Deparment head"
         options="Select one option| post@domain.com, Option1|jane@domain.com, Option2|tom@domain.com, Option3|tim@domain.com, optionØ|jill@domain.com, other|post@domain.com" />
  </div>
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The problem with this is that anyone could modify the email address in the form field to send email from your server to any arbitrary address.

This would enable them to use your site as a proxy for spam.

What if I removed the @domain.com, and changed it to this?

<div class="field options"> <i></i>
    <perch:label for="service"></perch:label>
    <perch:input type="select" id="product-service" name="Service option" label="Deparment head"
         options="Select one option| post, Option1|jane, Option2|tom, Option3|tim, optionØ|jill, other|post" />
  </div>
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

That would be a good safeguard, yes.