Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Events

Events app still supported?

Hi Drew,

Do your responses to questions about the events app imply that it isn't something that is going to get further development? I am very new to perch and have been able to get most things to work following the excellent videos and documentation. I have the blog running nicely but don't seem to be having much luck with the events app. At the moment I can't even get a calendar to show using the default templates that come with the app.

Would I be better just integrating an external calendar like a google calendar into the site? This is what I did on the current non-perch version of my site but one of the reasons for choosing Perch was that it would enable me to steer away from using external widgets and plugins to deliver content.

My requirement is to show events like baking course dates and subjects, which breads are baked on different days (I was hoping there would be a way of entering repeating events but haven't worked that one out yet), weekly pizza night specials etc etc. (I run a bakery, can you tell!!??).

Thanks in advance for any tips and thanks for such a great CMS, I have really enjoyed learning how to use it.

Andrew

Andrew Auld

Andrew Auld 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The history is that the Events app was one of the first apps we developed in 2009 for Perch 1. Back then, Perch was a far more simplistic tool that didn't have the flexibility it has now, and so dedicated apps were needed to created filtered listings and such.

With Perch 3, I think the only reason you'd need the Events app is if you wanted that dedicated 2D calendar month grid view. That's otherwise quite tricky to do with a template.

For all other purposes, Events lags behind and I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks for the reply Drew.

I have now managed to get the events app to do what I want. I do need the 2D calendar displayed in grid view and I am liking the way I can call lists of category based events on different parts of the site as well as displaying the event detail.

I haven't quite worked out how the templates link together within the app but by blundering my way around I have got it styled as I want it.

The only thing missing from my requirements is the ability to add repeating events but I am guessing that adding that functionality won't be high on your list of priorities if you aren't putting any more development into it.

Andrew

I am now having an issue with granting the 'editor' role permission to add/edit events. I have ticked both the boxes available in the 'roles' permissions configuration for events.

Events

• Access events
  • Manage categories

My editor is subsequently able to add/edit categories within events, but not add/edit events themselves.

Is this a bug or am I missing a tickbox somewhere else in the role permissions list?

Thanks

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Thank you. Yes.