Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Gallery

Perch upgrade question

Hi Drew/Rachel

In a previous post, Drew stated "It may be that Perch has flagged them as missing if it couldn't read the files." regarding assets. This got my attention as I'm about to upgrade a client site, but they have thousands of images. I was going to upgrade on a test server first, but without the images (the total is 5.6GB of images, hence not wanting to download all that). I was hoping that the upgrade would still run and then I could re-deploy the Perch files and database back to the live server. Basically, upgrade without touching the resources folder.

Because of Drew's statement, would you know if running the upgrade without the images means that Perch will flag them all as missing and therefore remove their database entries? Does that process run on an upgrade?

Just trying to save loads of time really. If I do have to download absolutely everything, then no worries. The main thing is not breaking it!

Thanks, Michael

Michael Wilkinson

Michael Wilkinson 6 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

That could be an issue, yes.

I would do this:

1. Make sure your staging site is a realistic copy of the live site (minus all the images!)
  2. Backup!
  3. Update the staging site
  4. Test, test, test. Make a note of anything you need to change to get anything working
  5. Repeat the same upgrade steps on the live site, now that you know it'll work.
Michael Wilkinson

Michael Wilkinson 6 points
Registered Developer

Perfect. Thanks Drew. Just copied that exactly as the TODO list!