Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Members

Perch Authentication API

Hi,

I’m trying to understand what the authentication API actually allows. As far as I can understand, it allows a third party to control user access to Perch admin.

Does it also allow for Perch Members to be authenticated? I’m looking to create a Perch built backend that powers a front end built in React, with user logins.

Cheers!

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

They both have their own independent systems for authentication, and each can be replaced out with your own code to authenticate users.

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points
Registered Developer

Is there any more reading in the docs for the member app specifically? Would be super useful!

Cheers.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I don't believe there is - there's not been any interest in it to date!

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points
Registered Developer

Ah okay no problem.

I’d be very much interested to find out some more, even if it’s just a code sample.

As mentioned, I want to authenticate users for a managed area through an API using React.

I think this sounds suitable here, perhaps using oauth. Any code example would really help!

Cheers, Ryan.

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points
Registered Developer

I think my ultimate question is:

In its current state, can runway be used as a backend for a React type front end with the Members, and content.

If not, is it possible to create apps to be able to do so. The client loves Perch, but will have to look at alternatives if it isn’t possible. :(

Cheers!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

What do you need from a backend for a React type front end? I've not built anything in React so I've no idea of the requirements.

You can certainly post forms via XHR and send responses as JSON.

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points
Registered Developer

I just need an API that’ll allow members to log in, log out, retrieve content from standard content collections/regions, and filter data basically.

The members will need to be able to update member details, edit password etc.

That’s it really!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

That should all be fine - I can't see any points there where you'd have problems.