We are transitioning over to a new forum platform. Please post new issues there. Existing threads will be dealt with here unless you choose to move them over. Visit the new forum

Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Help with the 'Back Arrow' in Perch 3 Admin

Perch 3 is here and with it some really nice features and enhancements and even more in the pipeline.

Like some others though, I've found the 'Back Arrow' in Perch 3 a little misleading…

Perch 3 Back Arrow

Like me, you might click on the word ‘Pages’ expecting to be taken back to the ‘My Site’ view.

But the ‘arrow’ and the word ‘Pages’ are actually 2 completely different links, even though they’re wrapped up in the same H2 heading. (This is the same for all apps, Blog, Events, Categories etc.)

Perch 3 Back Arrow

I think that part of the UI could be clearer.

The simplest suggestion would be to not have a link around the App word ‘Pages’.

It’s great as a heading, but it doesn’t need to be a link. The link back to the ‘Listing’ for that App is always achievable via the link directly below the App heading:

• for ‘Pages’ it’s ‘Pages’
  • for ‘Blog’ it’s ‘Posts’
  • for ‘Shop’ it’s ‘Dashboard’ and so on for each app.

Perch 3 Back Arrow

I would also indent the sub menu items a little more as shown to further distinguish them from the 'back arrow'.

In the meantime:

For me and my clients, I have added a few simple lines of CSS to the UI to make it clearer…

.sidebar-back a {
    margin-left: 15px;
}

.sidebar-back a.back {
    display: block;
    margin: -10px 0 20px;
    border-bottom: 1px solid #fcfcfc;
}

.sidebar-back a.back:after {
    content: "My Site";
    font-size: 21px;
    margin-left: 1px;
}

This separates the arrow from the App heading and shows more clearly the link back to 'My Site'.

Perch 3 Back Arrow

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

• 2 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The reason the top heading is a link is because testing showed that users were clicking on that heading expecting to go to the top page in the section. So that's what it now does.

The thing you're flagging as a problem is actually the solution to a different problem.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Thanks Drew, I may be in a minority in that case.

What is excellent is that Perch allows for developers to tweak UI to suit, which is really helpful.