Forum

Thread tagged as: Forms

User filterable list

Hi,

I've got a user filterable list set up to filter jobs based on text found in the job title and a location <select>.

In the location <select> there are several locations - North West, South East, etc. There's also an All Areas option which when selected should just display all the jobs.

I can't figure out the best way of doing this? Obviously 'All areas' isn't a value in a field and as such isn't marked against any jobs.

Any help or pointers would be really helpful.

Many thanks,

John.

John Robinson

John Robinson 7 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I'd make the option empty or a known value like 'all'. If that value is set, don't apply the filter.

Thanks Drew,

Can I be cheeky and ask for some code pointers?

This what I've got so far, I'm mindful that I can't completely turn the filter off because the text search still needs to work on 'all' locations.

Hope that makes sense and thanks.

<?php // Create an empty array ready to add our filters to $filters = array(); if (perch_get('textsearch')) { // if 'type' is on the URL, add a filter for bedrooms $filters[] = array( 'filter' => 'title', 'match' => 'contains', 'value' => perch_get('textsearch'), ); } if (perch_get('location')) { // if 'beds' is on the URL, add a filter for bedrooms $filters[] = array( 'filter' => 'location', 'match' => 'eq', 'value' => perch_get('location'), ); } // Unset the filters if none are used: if (!count($filters)) $filters=false; // Then get the list perch_content_custom('Jobs', array( 'template' => 'job-listing.html', 'sort' => 'published', 'sort-order' => 'DESC', 'filter' => $filters, )); ?>
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You'd just change:

if (perch_get('location')) {

to something like

if (perch_get('location') && perch_get{'location')!='all') {

Works a treat!

Many, many thanks Drew.

Sorry to bother you again Drew, just one other small thing.

If I enter say a partial word into the text field, like "grad" instead of "graduate" it doesn't return a result, even though it's set up with 'contains'.

Is this normal behaviour or have I done something wrong?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

A 'contains' filter matches against word boundaries. It won't find a partial word.

Ok, thanks Drew.

Hi Drew,

Is it possible to set one filter against two fields so that one text input could search both?

Something like this perhaps:

'filter' => 'title,description';

I've tried putting them in as separate filters but they seem to cancel each other out.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

See the section "Filtering by multiple fields" here: https://docs.grabaperch.com/docs/content/perch-content-custom/

Thanks