Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Addons, Forms

form spam still getting through even though use askimet, cant see honeypot hidde...

Hi

i have askimet enabled but am still receiving spam via the form on right hand side at https://www.qccartoon.com/

if the honeypot hidden field, code below, which i added to templates/content/contactform.html is not displaying and thus not stopping spam, apart from templates/content/contactform.html, which other files or settings do i need to tweak to get the honeypot field to work/display in code?

<perch:input type="text" id="qcperch" antispam="honeypot" />

Perch: 2.8.31, PHP: 5.6.22, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 76b08b24596e12d4553bd41fc93cccd5bac2fe7a $, with PDO Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi Installed apps: content (2.8.31), assets (2.8.31), categories (2.8.31), perch_blog (5.0), perch_forms (1.8.3) App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_blog', 'perch_forms' ); ?> PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch PERCH_PATH: /var/sites/q/qccartoon.com/public_html/perch PERCH_CORE: /var/sites/q/qccartoon.com/public_html/perch/core PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /var/sites/q/qccartoon.com/public_html/perch/resources Image manipulation: GD PHP limits: Max upload 100M, Max POST 100M, Memory: 128M, Total max file upload: 100M F1: 2edba60ed1f613d6dd804feb202456a2 Resource folder writeable: Yes DOCUMENT_ROOT: /var/sites/w/www.qccartoon.com/public_html HTTP_HOST: www.qccartoon.com REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/ SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php

Matthew Saunders

Matthew Saunders 0 points

• 4 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Please post your entire form template and also make sure that Perch is up to date to at least the last version of Perch 2.

Hi

All up to date, diagnostics below.

This is the entire form template (file: perch/templates/content/contactform.html):

<perch:form id="contact" method="post" app="perch_forms">

<perch:content id="intro" type="textarea" label="Intro" textile="false" editor="ckeditor" size="m" />

<div>
        <perch:label for="name">Name</perch:label>
        <perch:input type="text" id="name" required="true" label="Name" antispam="name" />
        <perch:error for="name" type="required">Please add your name</perch:error>
    </div>

<div>
        <perch:label for="email">Email</perch:label>
        <perch:input type="email" id="email" required="true" label="Email" placeholder="you@company.com" antispam="email" />
        <perch:error for="email" type="required">Please add your email address</perch:error>
        <perch:error for="email" type="format">Please check your email address</perch:error>
    </div>
    <div>
    <perch:input type="text" id="qcperch" antispam="honeypot" />
        <perch:input type="submit" id="submit" value="Subscribe!" />
    </div>

<perch:success>
        <perch:content id="success" type="textarea" label="Thank you message" textile="false" editor="ckeditor" />
    </perch:success>
</perch:form>

Perch: 2.8.34, PHP: 5.6.22, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 76b08b24596e12d4553bd41fc93cccd5bac2fe7a $, with PDO Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi Installed apps: content (2.8.34), assets (2.8.34), categories (2.8.34), perch_blog (5.0), perch_forms (1.8.3) App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_blog', 'perch_forms' ); ?> PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch PERCH_PATH: /var/sites/q/qccartoon.com/public_html/perch PERCH_CORE: /var/sites/q/qccartoon.com/public_html/perch/core PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /var/sites/q/qccartoon.com/public_html/perch/resources Image manipulation: GD PHP limits: Max upload 100M, Max POST 100M, Memory: 128M, Total max file upload: 100M F1: 6a33f95eca3667f9e0c39bf5ca2980fe Resource folder writeable: Yes DOCUMENT_ROOT: /var/sites/w/www.qccartoon.com/public_html HTTP_HOST: www.qccartoon.com REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/ SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Have you saved your region since changing the template?

that did it, thanks

if you look at https://www.qccartoon.com/, right hand side, there is now an empty field above the subscribe button

i thought the adding honeypot might have hidden this field, but no problem, do i just hide it via css?

I just hid the honeypot field, i believe this is the correct thing to do...

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, that's what you need to do. Perch can't hide it - that would mean it doesn't exist in the HTML and so wouldn't work.

thanks for your help

I have honeypot enabled and hidden field in form, and am hooked up to askimet.

but am still getting about 1 spam submittion a day, all similar to this:

Name: 59241cb405f76 Email: ameliarieth@gmail.com

I can see similar emails going straight to spam, where there are about 3-4 coming through per day but that's fine as correctly being flagged as spam

is it realistic of me to expect less spam that about 1 per day? or should askimet used in conjunction with honeypot stop all spam?

am thinking a simple captcha would sort this... Help appreciated

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It's unrealistic to expect that you can stop all spam.

I have honeypot and askimet enabled https://www.qccartoon.com/. I'm getting too much spam still via form, 2-3 a day. Have had 3 today already (31st may 2017)

I have other forms on other websites and the captchas do seem to sort most spam, so they do work. Problem is there is no captcha addon for perch as you guys don't like captcha.

All the emails are fairly obvious spam too where the name is a number:

Name: 592eb901ad9db Email: chaz_56_00@yahoo.com

Is there anything else I can do to stop the spam form submissions?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The next step would be to have junk mail filtering on the mail account.

(There's no first-party captcha add-on, but there's nothing to stop someone else implementing one.)

HTML5 character validation in name field?

pattern="[a-zA-Z ]+"

Only accept all latin characters in the name field including spaces.

Hi Lexi, thanks for that, giving it a try.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Just to let you know I was having the same 'Name: 592eb901ad9db' spam issue. Akismet was catching one or two of them but the majority were still getting through. I raised the issue with Akismet support and they looked into it. Their reply...

"Akismet should begin catching these spams shortly. Thanks for bringing it to our attention."

It's now caught all of them so far. Hopefully it should be the same for you.

Hi Simon, great work, thanks for contacting akismet, and posting here.

the last spam was 31st may when i firs set up 'pattern="[a-zA-Z ]+"', but will take that off and see how spam goes.