Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Installation, Configuration

New local MAMP install very slow

Hi,

Sorry if this is not a Perch question, but I'm hoping you can help. I've just downloaded an existing Perch site to create a local version for editing using MAMP Pro. I've done several like this, including some using Perch , and it normally works fine, but this latest one is extremely slow on the front end. When I log into admin it's fine, flitting between pages / sections very quickly, but on the front end of the website it's taking around 60 seconds to load a page!

I downloaded all the files from the web, created a new host in MAMP, and directed it tot he folder with these files, then made a copy of the database from the original site, and did a find and replace on the site domain for the local one (e.g. mysite.co.uk > mylocalsite:8888), copied this into a database I created in MAMP's PhpMyAdmin area, and updated the Perch config file accordingly.

I've checked other MAMP sites I've set-up and these are still working fine.

If you know anything I might have done wrong here it would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Alex

Alex Bennett

Alex Bennett 0 points

• 5 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Hi Alex

you should really direct this to MAMP support - we don't use MAMP so would mostly be taking random guesses!

Rachel

No problem - in case anyone else reads this it seemed to be an issue with the find and replace I did on the database. I started again and just changed the url in the Perch admin settings and on files and it worked fine.

Thanks, Alex

For anyone else who encounters this issue I found the cause to be what I was naming my localhost alias. I would set something like project.local and after some digging it appears to be a conflict with Bonjour. I found the aswer here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/10041204

I then changed my vhosts to be project.loc and it completely cured the problem.