Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Forum

A few basic questions - licenses, privacy, validation

Hi, just bought Perch Runway Dev to mess around with, and see if Perch will suit a website build I'm doing for a friend, a small e-store gallery.

I'm a frontend dev/design guy. After looking through the documentation it looks manageable and suits the way I like to build. If goes well on dev I will organise an additional Perch license for my friend's live site.

A few quick questions if I may...

1. If I buy an additional normal version of Perch for my friend's site, can I transfer the license name to her later once the site is all done and live? It would be easier if I manage it first then hand it over later. I'm hoping I can just update the name and email field later in account settings?

2. I'm developing 'locally' on a NAS server of the kind 'https://192.168....' what would I put as the domain in the license settings? Still 'localhost'?

3. What if any Perch-server dependency is there? Surely none from the website frontend, but what about the backend CMS? What sort of validation checks happen and how often? If for some reason Perch.com or whatever validation server is down, does my website go down on the frontend? Does it go down on the backend? I'm guessing the validation check happens once each time when logging into Perch on the CMS side? Is there any other "calling home" processes sending back usage data to Perch or anything else of interest? I did read the terms but couldn't see anything particularly about validation.

4. I was surprised to see my account license name becomes my public forum user name here, with no other option. That's why I changed my name to initials in account settings. Not for any paranoid reason, but because I prefer my account details and credentials to be isolated, separate to public forum login details - for which nicknames are the norm on web forums. I hope the member add-on for Perch doesn't limit choice of member name for users, or otherwise lock in the assumption of using the member's account real name as a public handle? The site I'm building has a members area, so naturally "UX privacy" if that's even a thing is high on the list.

Thanks Paul

P K

P K 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If I buy an additional normal version of Perch for my friend's site, can I transfer the license name to her later once the site is all done and live?

Yes, we can transfer licenses between accounts. Set up an account for your friend (or have them do it) and then just email us with the license key and the email address of the account to transfer it to.

I'm developing 'locally' on a NAS server of the kind 'https://192.168....' what would I put as the domain in the license settings? Still 'localhost'?

Enter your IP address as the host. If you get the settings wrong, the error message will tell you want to use.

What if any Perch-server dependency is there? Surely none from the website frontend, but what about the backend CMS? What sort of validation checks happen and how often?

The license is verified when you log in to the control panel. It's designed so that if our servers are down (or you're on a dev machine offline, for example) that the check is bypassed and you can carry on as normal. There should never be a point at which a failed activation gets in your way.

I hope the member add-on for Perch doesn't limit choice of member name for users, or otherwise lock in the assumption of using the member's account real name as a public handle?

I don't follow the connection from our support forum to the Perch Members app.

P K

P K 0 points

Thanks for all the info. Look forward to trying it out.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Thanks!