Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Shop

Wine shop "In Bond"

Hi Drew/Rachel

We are building an online shop for a wine seller and he's asked if we can do 'In Bond' purchases. I had not heard of this before but apparently it's very popular in the wine world.

Would you happen to know if this is easily done in the Perch Shop? I think it is after reading the docs, but I'm just wondering if there is something specific for it or should we handle it through other costs (shipping costs maybe)? I say shipping because it seems it's only applied is delivery is required from a bonded warehouse.

Hope that makes sense!

Many thanks.

Michael Wilkinson

Michael Wilkinson 6 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What is it?

Michael Wilkinson

Registered Developer

Hey Drew

This is the official blurb. Sorry, but this is all new to me.

Wines 'in bond' have not yet had the Duty and VAT paid on them and not available for delivery or consumption within the EU. If/when you choose to have the wines delivered (anywhere in the EU) these taxes become payable (at UK rates).

So, it adds duty and then VAT if it's delivered. Adding the VAT is no worries but can we add a second tax? As it only applies to when it's delivered, I was thinking of maybe adding it to the delivery cost, but it needs to be clearly stated as the duty price.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There's no specific functionality for this. You'll have to look at what's available and determine whether you are able to meet the tax requirements yourself - we can't offer advice on tax matters.

Michael Wilkinson

Registered Developer

Ok thanks Drew, I hear that.

I think I can do it by adding another price field so I could have the base price (which is the in bond price), then the duty paid price which is base price + duty (all to be added manually) and then a tick box to check which price to display through the template, a bit like the sale price example.