Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Perch or Perch Runway

Hi,

I have a couple of site coming up for development and I am sure you have been asked this question many times, but I would like your option on what version of Perch to use. The first site will be 90% images and I would say it is a small to medium site coming from a different CMS. The other site is a new site and I guess the opposite as it will be mostly text based, with some images and video.

I have not used Perch Runway before but would their be an advantage of using Perch Runway over Perch or is it more dependent on the size of the site?

Thanks,

David

David Roberts

David Roberts 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Size of site primarily, but also down to how you like to work.

What makes Perch ideal for retrofitting to an existing site is that its pages are file-based. That is to say for every page in your site, there's a corresponding file on the disk for that page. When you add a new page, a new file is created. That's convenient and has advantages, but also reduces flexibility in some ways.

Perch Runway takes a different approach. Each page is created in the database rather than on the disk. Pages are based on master pages, and can use whatever nicely formatted URL you want to give them. It's very flexible.

Runway also gives you the option of things like the integrated backup and restore, cloud buckets, and more.

As a developer, I'd always pick Runway, even for a smaller site that Perch could manage, as I just prefer its approach to page handling and like the automatic backups.

Thanks for that quick response Drew.

If I have already bought a Perch licence which I was thinking of using for one of the sites can change/upgrade to Runway?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Hi David - yes, in your account you can purchase an upgrade from a Perch license to Runway just by paying the difference between the two license prices.