Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Runway, Blog

Using Collections Within Perch Blog

Hi all,

I am trying to combine collections with perch blog so I can filter and display blog posts around the site.

So, one example is that I have set up staff profile pages in collections so I can then use staff profiles on other pages around the site, like on each department page to show the staff within that department.

However, on the staff profile pages themselves, I would like to have the latest 4 blog posts that the staff member has written. So in the blog post template /perch/templates/blog/post.html, I have added the following to be able to select and display the author of the post, which then links to their profile page...

<perch:related id="author" collection="Staff Profiles" label="Author" suppress="true" divider-before="Meta information">
    <perch:blog id="img1" type="image" width="400" height="400" crop="true" />
    <perch:blog id="name" type="text" />
    <perch:blog id="surname" type="text" />
    <perch:blog id="position" type="select" />
    <perch:blog id="profileSlug" type="slug" />
</perch:related>

...and then on the collection page template, /perch/templates/pages/about/staff_profile.php I have got the following to filter and display the blog posts from that member of staff...

perch_blog_custom([
        'sort' => 'postDateTime',
        'sort-order' => DESC,
        'count' => 4,
        'template' => 'profile_posts.html',
        'filter' => 'profileSlug',
        'match' => 'eq',
        'value' => perch_get('profileSlug'),
    ]);

...but nothing is showing.

As per normal I'm sure it's something really simple, so any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Glen

Glen Piggott

Glen Piggott 0 points

• 3 years ago

do you have a variable of "profileSlug" on the url? perch_get is looking for this on the url... or in runway routing if using runway.

Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points
Registered Developer

Hello Glen,

You need to use 'filter' => 'author.profileSlug',

Hussein Al Hammad said:

Hello Glen,

You need to use 'filter' => 'author.profileSlug',

Perfect - thank you Hussein!