Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Runway Performance and Site Hanging on Content Updates

Hi

We've just rolled out or new site with Runway (upgraded form Perch).

Initially we had no trouble making updates to content via the CMS, however after a week or so of editing, saves of collections have now become particularly slow and the site often hangs (fails to display any content for 10 minutes at a time) when making updates via the CMS.

I've noted that the cms_resource_log table is particularly large - 13.1GB with 50,023,859 rows

What is this table used for and can it be truncated or older entries archived? Or is there something else we can do to improve performance.

Our site has less than 150 pages (100 of which are part of a collection).

Help!

Many thanks

Regards James

James Ng

James Ng 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

That does sound abnormally large. What can you tell me about the content?

You can truncate that table, but you'll need to turn off resource cleanup otherwise all your assets will get deleted.

Is this what you meant by turning off resource cleanup?

define('PERCH_CLEAN_RESOURCES', false);

Can I DM you a link to the site / admin site?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, that's the right setting.

If you want us to log in and take a look at it for you, that's an option. https://grabaperch.com/consultancy

Hi Drew

Now that I've truncated cms_resource_log the site is running much better and updates to collection items are near instant.

The site is for a travel company, where each item in the collection is a tour. (Previously we used repeatable items in Perch, but the save as draft works so much better in runway so we converted to collections).

The tour collection template is reasonably complex (there are more than 100 fields in the template).

I've noticed that each time a tour collection item is updated there are 19 rows written to the cms_resource_log table. This will grow quite quickly over time (but hopefully not up to 50 million rows again anytime soon).

Aside from regularly truncating this table - is there anything else we can do to maintain the performance?

Will reducing the undo buffer limit the number of entries in this table?

define('PERCH_UNDO_BUFFER', 2);

And now that I've truncated the table once, will we ever be able to turn on resource cleanup again?

define('PERCH_CLEAN_RESOURCES', true);

Many thanks again Drew

Regards James

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, reducing the undo buffer will really help. The assets are logged against each version of your content so that Runway knows when an asset is no longer needed.

And now that I've truncated the table once, will we ever be able to turn on resource cleanup again?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, but your current assets are now untracked.