Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

Assets clean up

Hi,

I have had a request from a client to a) remove assets that we used during site testing and b) remove old assets that are unused on the site going forward.

Looking on the forums, I found this post https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/03-23-2015-pre-launch-cleanup which suggests setting PERCH_UNDO_BUFFER: 1 but the original testing assets are still there. They are not in use on the site or marked as library assets so it can't be that.

Is there something else I need to do to get the assets cleaned up?

Andy

Andy Knight

Andy Knight 1 points

• 6 years ago

How I remove my assets from perch..

When you click on the assets link in the top navigation, click on one of your assets and it will take you to the editing page for it..there should be a "red" delete button to the right. This will of course allow you to delete assets one by one. I am hoping this is what you mean.

Hope this helps and resolve your situation.

Hi David,

Thanks for you response.

The method you suggest is fine but is only available to admin users and is a manual process.

I am referring to Perch's automatic clean up of unused assets in my question. See the asset removal section - https://docs.grabaperch.com/docs/control-panel/assets/

Thanks anyway,

Andy

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Have you edited the regions that held the assets since changing the buffer?

In some case yes, however probably not all and I used the same set of dummy images across most of the regions.

Is the PERCH_UNDO_BUFFER: 1 holding on to 1 undo and therefore Assets still sees the dummy images as in use?

Thanks, Andy

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes - when a region is updated the undo history is truncated based on that setting. It's only cleared when a new revision is pushed onto the stack.

There's also a number of case whereby we can't be sure the image isn't used and so don't clear it up. One of those is images added through WYSIWYG editors. Another is if assets were imported from older versions where the history wasn't tracked.

Great, thanks Drew.

I will go through and update the regions and see what happens :)