Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Blog

Categories

Hello,

I am new to this all. I have freshly installed everything. I am following the video tutorials of how to set-up a blog. Everything works except the categories menu. Been through the forums and now I am here.

In the CMS itself categories is listed as a 'title' but with no options. I have created 2 but no where to be found. ?

<?php include('../perch/runtime.php');?>
<!doctype html>
<!--[if lt IE 7]> <html class="ie6 oldie"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]>    <html class="ie7 oldie"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8]>    <html class="ie8 oldie"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if gt IE 8]><!-->
<html class="" lang="de">
<!--<![endif]-->
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
 <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/png" href="favicon.png">
<title>hello</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content=""/>
<link href="css/boilerplate.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/animate.min.css">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/font-awesome.min.css">
    <link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="navi/responsive-nav.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="navi/navi.css">

</head>
<body>
<div class="gridContainer clearfix">
  <div id="main">

<div id="logo"><p class="life">A Blog.&nbsp; Julia and Tony<h1>The Melvin's</h1><p>

</div>
<div id="left">
<?php perch_blog_recent_posts(10); ?>
</div>
      <div id="right"><h2>Archive</h2>
<h3>Categories</h3>

<?php perch_blog_categories(); ?>

</div>

<div id="footer">This is the content for Layout Div Tag "footer"</div>
  </div></div>
  <!--[if lt IE 9]>
<script src="//html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>
<![endif]-->
    <script src="js/respond.min.js"></script>
 <script src="js/blocs.min.js"></script>

</body>
</html>

Perch: 3.1.1, PHP: 7.2.6, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 - $Id: 38fea24f2847fa7519001be390c98ae0acafe387 $, with PDO
Server OS: Linux, fpm-fcgi
Installed apps: content (3.1.1), assets (3.1.1), categories (3.1.1), perch_blog (5.6.1)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_blog', ); ?>
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
PERCH_PATH: /var/www/vhosts/the-melvins.com/httpdocs/perch
PERCH_CORE: /var/www/vhosts/the-melvins.com/httpdocs/perch/core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /var/www/vhosts/the-melvins.com/httpdocs/perch/resources
Image manipulation: GD Imagick
PHP limits: Max upload 20M, Max POST 20M, Memory: 512M, Total max file upload: 20M
F1: 3b606135b33e6a102526838f4152a807
Resource folder writeable: Yes
SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php
REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
DOCUMENT_ROOT: /var/www/vhosts/the-melvins.com/httpdocs
HTTP_HOST: www.the-melvins.com
Tony Melvin

Tony Melvin 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Do you have a category set named Blog?

Hello Drew.

I do.

Under Organise - Categories- Blog

Set template is Category Category template is Category

Is this correct?

I thank-you

Figured out the debug:

SELECT u.*, r.* FROM perch3_users u, perch3_user_roles r WHERE u.roleID=r.roleID AND u.userEnabled=1 AND u.userID=2 AND u.userHash='1dc7fda7a278e77a985d419ce63b2151' LIMIT 1
UPDATE perch3_users SET userHash='9c2242a6854c494c5b133382c730199b' WHERE userID='2'
[30] SELECT settingID, settingValue, userID FROM perch3_settings WHERE userID=2 OR userID=0 ORDER BY userID ASC
[7] SELECT itemValue FROM perch3_menu_items WHERE itemType='app'
[0] SELECT COUNT(*) FROM perch3_blog_comments WHERE commentStatus='PENDING'
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_blogs ORDER BY blogTitle ASC
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_blogs ORDER BY blogTitle ASC LIMIT 1
[nil] SELECT * FROM perch3_categories c, perch3_category_sets s WHERE c.setID=s.setID AND s.setSlug='blog' ORDER BY catTreePosition ASC
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_blog_sections WHERE blogID=1 ORDER BY sectionTitle ASC
[3] SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS DISTINCT * FROM perch3_blog_posts WHERE blogID=1 ORDER BY postDateTime DESC LIMIT 0, 15
[1] SELECT FOUND_ROWS() AS count
[1] SELECT mi.*, p.privKey FROM perch3_menu_items mi LEFT JOIN perch3_user_privileges p ON mi.privID=p.privID WHERE mi.itemActive=1 AND mi.parentID=0 ORDER BY itemOrder ASC LIMIT 0, 1
[2] SELECT mi.*, p.privKey FROM perch3_menu_items mi LEFT JOIN perch3_user_privileges p ON mi.privID=p.privID WHERE mi.itemActive=1 AND mi.parentID=1 ORDER BY mi.itemOrder ASC
[1] SELECT itemTitle FROM perch3_menu_items WHERE itemType='app' AND itemValue='perch_blog' LIMIT 1
[1] SELECT mi.*, p.privKey FROM perch3_menu_items mi LEFT JOIN perch3_user_privileges p ON mi.privID=p.privID WHERE mi.itemActive=1 AND mi.parentID=0 ORDER BY itemOrder ASC LIMIT 1, 10
[2] SELECT mi.*, p.privKey FROM perch3_menu_items mi LEFT JOIN perch3_user_privileges p ON mi.privID=p.privID WHERE mi.itemActive=1 AND mi.parentID=2 ORDER BY mi.itemOrder ASC

Usable?. Thank-you

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ok, so what problem are you seeing? I'm not sure what we're trying to solve.

No categories are appearing on my site. Maybe I am using the backend wrong ?

I got the the blog app. Sets - I have a Blog set and Blog category. (I also added other categories) I go to Editing ‘Blog’ Category Set. I Set template to category I set Category template to category

In the Blog app I can do all the editing- Title, Post, Excerpt, Date, Image upload, etc. but Categories displays as a title with no options at all.

Should I not see Blog then ?

If am administrating this wrong please send me in the right direction.

I think-you

Drew I have checked my code and understand sets now in the backend.

In the perch backend when I create a category it / they are not listed as an option in the admin mask.

I have been through the forums again. My config is set and was from the beginning.

<?php $apps_list = array( 'content',  'categories',  'perch_blog',  );

Spinning my tires here. Thanks for your time.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

In the perch backend when I create a category it / they are not listed as an option in the admin mask.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What's the admin mask? Could you give an example?

Sorry, I mean the admin backend area. When I login to perch and I want to publish a new entry on the blog. Categories is there under Date as a title but there are no options offered. Just white space before Status. Would like to send a screen if that would help.

Thank-you

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The debug you posted above is staying that there are no categories in the set called Blog.

Drew I have created categories in the perch admin back-end when I login. Do I need to define them in my php code direct ? Sorry I am a beginner at this.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

No, you just need to add them in the Categories section of Perch in a category set named Blog. It's created for you when you install the Blog app.

Hi Drew,

Ok, I have been doing this all along. I am on a trip for the next 2 months and the blog will have to have no categories until then. I think I will start from scratch in September when I am back. Thanks for your help.