Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Blog

Adding an image for a blog post

Hello

I have set up a site using perch 2.5 and blog 4.1.

Assets have suddenly appeared, cant find any documentation for this (went to documentation and searched for 'assets') but have tried to continue anyway.

When trying to add an image in blog (using Image: Select or upload an image) i get shuffled off to a side bar where I'm invited to 'click to upload an asset' but when i do this, the image appears with a big green tick in the top rh corner.

However what next? If i click 'use selected' nothing happens, in any case there might be tow selected. Don't seem to be able to select just one. Oh, and underneath it says "No matching assets found".

I've tried coming at this from the 'add assets' angle and there are some short instructions in the rhs column but these refer to changing an asset rather than adding one.

Help! Is it possible to disable this asset functionality or work around it or are there some step by step instructions somewhere so that i can make it work?

Cheers - Mark

mark buckley

mark buckley 0 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

https://grabaperch.com/blog/archive/perch-25-now-available

Just upload the image, click on it and use it. Or click on an existing one and use that.

There isn't anything to document about Assets, as we don't typically produce end user documentation.

Thanks Rachel

We've been playing around with this to no avail for over an hour now.

To start with, do we approach this via 'Assets' or 'Blog'?

Cheers - Mark

Mark, do you have a URL you can share for the page you're working on? I be glad to take a look.

Hi Robert, thanks for this. I was starting local but am in the process of uploading to a staging post to see if it might be some local setting or Wamp that is causing the issue.

Can i let you know when I've go it uploaded and working/not working?

What was odd was that the images were going into the resources folder but not showing in assets either via assets or the blog app.

Thanks again

Cheers - Mark

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

That sounds like a standard problem of uploading/resizing images.

Make sure you have enough memory to resize these images and that you have GD or ImageMagick installed.

Well, OK but they are very small images and I never had that problem before...

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

You've not really given us enough information to be able to help further. I'd suggest getting it onto your staging server and if it still isn't working provide us with your diagnostics report.

Mark, yeah once your online with it if it continues to give you problems I'd be more then happy to check it out and see if I can help. Sometimes it's just a pain to get things working on a local server, but it should work properly when setup correctly.

Would love to see your site and how your using perch to manage it. RK

OK, I'm having the same problem at the staging post. I've checked in the diagnostics and it says (see below) and as mentioned i never had any of these issues before.

Happy to post the URL but do you need sign in credentials too and is it OK to post them here? I'm not familiar with this new forum.

Cheers - Mark

HEALTH CHECK

Perch is up to date PHP 5.4.23 is up to date MySQL 5.5.37-cll is up to date Image processing available SUMMARY INFORMATION

Perch: 2.5, PHP: 5.4.23, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.10 - 20111026 - $Id: e707c415db32080b3752b232487a435ee0372157 $, with PDO Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi Installed apps: content (2.5), assets (2.5), perch_blog (4.1), perch_events (1.7.1), perch_gallery (2.8.2), perch_members (1.0.3) App runtimes: <?php include(PERCH_PATH.'/core/apps/content/runtime.php'); include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_members/runtime.php'); include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_blog/runtime.php'); include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_events/runtime.php'); include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_gallery/runtime.php'); ?> PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch

Image manipulation: GD Imagick PHP limits: Max upload 64M, Max POST 8M, Memory: 256M, Total max file upload: 8M Resource folder writeable: Yes

HTTP_HOST: www.kq3.co.uk REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/ SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php

Mark go to Perch Registered Developers Page and in my listing is my email address. If you set up a temp user account in perch, I will be able to help you figure it out.

Thanks Robert, let me know how you get on or if you need anything further.

Cheers- Mark

Mark (and Rachel),

The first thing I notice is looking at the diagnostics report the apps.php is not in an array(), which I notice in a new installation of Perch 2.5 it would be an array(). That being said, since this is an update to 2.5, maybe the apps.php file doesn't get updated to an array(). Anyway, this is a tip off to me this is an updated version and the problem may not be as obvious as it might be in a new installation.

Marks Diagnostic Report:

<?php include(PERCH_PATH.'/core/apps/content/runtime.php'); include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_members/runtime.php'); include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_blog/runtime.php'); include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_events/runtime.php'); include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_gallery/runtime.php'); ?>

My Diagnostic Report:

$apps_list = array( 'content', 'perch_forms', 'perch_members', 'perch_blog', )

When I log into Marks perch installation, I instantly notice the assets app doesn't work anything like my newly installed 2.5. version.

I am wondering if the update completed successfully. I will post more results when I learn them.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Quite frequently we see people who have upgraded and a file has failed to copy.

I would suggest to rule that out, completely deleting perch/core and uploading the version from the zip.

Apps are correct as an array or includes, both will work (we don't make none-backwards compatible changes as a rule).

Also make sure you have upgraded the MarkItUp plugin as detailed in the update docs.

Thanks Rachel. Once Mark logged into my Preview of Perch_v2.5 (default new installation) he was able to see how it worked when properly installed and decided to start over with a fresh installation. I am pretty sure something glitched during upgrade.

Have a wonderful day, RK

Essentially I have removed Perch from my site (deleted the perch folder from my root site directory) and having re-downloaded the zip file from the perch website, unzipped it and reinstalled from scratch.

I'm still having the same problem and not really sure what to try next.

Ideas welcome.

Cheers - Mark

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Do you get any errors in your browser console?

Not in my browser, unsure what you mean by browser console.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

I'm assuming you mean: does it show any errors when I'm trying to add an asset in Perch - in which case it doesn't show any errors, no.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Robert said:

When I log into Marks perch installation, I instantly notice the assets app doesn't work anything like my newly installed 2.5. version.

Can you describe how it's different? I've got no idea how to help, because I really have no idea of what problem you're seeing.