Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions, Runway, Members

Password Protect Page WITHOUT Members App

I have a situation where my client would rather not use the Members app - which involves people registering, and flowing through a login page. It works well for some situations, but I'd like to simplify it with a single 4-digit code to access the page.

Is this possible? Suggestions?

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

• 5 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

You'd need to create your own solution if you don't want to use the one we have provided. I'm unsure as to why you can't just set up a single user for the members app and everyone access via that, but you could use the API to develop your own solution.

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

The idea is to make it simple to share a private page, and change the password per page generated. I've looked at some JS solutions, but nothing great.

Plus the Members app seems to have a looping issue making it a bit confusing to login. Overall, we just want a simple code to access a page - not email, no shared passwords, no username.

Has anyone made a solution that work? Ideally it will be a checkbox to toggle on password protection, add a code, and done.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

I don't understand what you mean by a looping issue, but I don't know of anything that does what you are asking out of the box.

You could of course build something to meet your requirements using the API.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

I created a very simple password protected page you can download here: https://www.sly-design.co.uk/perch-cms/

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

Awesome thanks @simon! That's just what I was thinking - someone's already made this I'm sure. :) I'll test it out and report back here. Thanks again!

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

Hi Simon - how secure is this method? I have pages with intellectual property on it....I noticed when testing is does indeed hide the code before the password is entered. Which do you think is more secure - this simple password method (which is awesome!) or the Members app, which feels a bit clunky.

Simon Clay said:

I created a very simple password protected page you can download here: https://www.sly-design.co.uk/perch-cms/

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Hi Leigh, the Simple Password method could be more secure with hash encryption, which is an intended update. I also plan to enable 'sessions' so if a person has logged in, they can view their pages without have to enter new password every time.

I'm sure the Members app is secure, but cannot say for sure what security methods it uses.

Simon, that is a nice simple password solution - I was just looking for something like this, excellent timing!

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

Hi Simon - nice work. I've customized it a bit for my use and it's working well. I moved the error message above the login, added some HTML for a clean looking login and that's about it.

Wouldn't it be awesome if this functionality was part of any page across your entire site with a checkbox in the Page Details tab? Maybe a future update from the Perch team? ....wink wink, nudge nudge @ Andrew & Rachel ;-)

If you end up getting it to a more secure place with hash encryption and sessions, that would be even more awesome! Maybe you can post that here?

Thanks again - cheers!

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Thanks Leigh, I'm glad it's been of use. I hope to incorporate it into the Page Attributes somehow, sometime soon.

Don't forget, with the Members App you can go to the 'Page Options' tab for any page and 'Restrict access to members with tags', which is very useful.

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

Yes the members app is already in use. But sometimes my clients want a quick - no sign up, here's a link and password - solution. Hence your option. Simple and nothing to manage.