Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

re: Thumbnails for non-image assets

I've just been reading this blog post regarding creating thumbnails from non image assets. Cool!

I'm currently working to get the libraries needed onto the server, so I haven't been able to run any live tests, but I do have a question:

Are these thumbnails only used in the asset manager UI, or is it possible to pull in the generated thumbnail into a content region to be displayed on the live site?

Specifically, I'm hoping to generate a thumbnail, based on the first page of a PDF file, to be displayed next to a link in the "Downloads" section of the site.

Thanks!

Richard Terrick

Richard Terrick 3 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

They're only for admin at the moment, but we'll look at how they might be made usable in future.

Are you still planning to look at making these thumbnails usable in the front-end of a website?

I have a pub client planning to upload food menus. These will change fairly often and need re-uploading. It would be great if I could amend e.g the templates/content/file.html template to display a thumbnail image. And using the automatically-created thumbnails would make it much more robust than having to get the client to create a thumbnail when they upload a new menu.

Any change on this one? It sure would be nice to not have to manually create thumbnails of PDF files for use within a template.