Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Cannot create Top-Level Page in 2.5.1

I just did a completely fresh/vanilla installation of Perch 2.5.1 and have not been able to use the "Add Page" function. It goes like this:

1. Install Perch 2.5.1 on new database
  2. Log in
  3. Click Pages > Master Pages
  4. Click the "Default.php" page and submit (so it shows up in the next form)
  5. Click Pages > Add Page
  6. Fill out the form per usual with "Parent Page" set to "Top Level"
  7. Click "Submit"
  8. The screen flickers, but otherwise no change is made (ie, you're still at the filled-out form)

Observations:

1. I have tested a fresh 2.4.9 and 2.5.0 build of Perch and, following the steps above, I can create a new page
  2. I have "updated" a 2.4.9 build to 2.5.0 and tested successfully, then updated from 2.5.0 to 2.5.1 and cannot add a new "Top Level" page
  3. It is possible to add a page if "Parent Page" is set to something other than "Top Level"
  4. Everything else appears normal in the 2.5.1 build
  5. I've tried multiple browsers, restarting the server, etc. to no avail

At the moment all I can do is roll back to 2.5.0, but there's a couple of asset-related fixes I'd like. Does this look like a proper bug, Drew, or have I missed something obvious?

Richard Terrick

Richard Terrick 3 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

It sounds really unlikely, as that functionality hasn't changed, nor has anything near it.

Is there anything in your PHP error log?

Hi guys,

I have done a fresh install of Perch this morning and I am having the same problem.

I haven't tested it across different versions, however this is a fresh copy of 2.5.1 downloaded an hour ago.

Nothing is showing up in the PHP Error log, and I've checked the folder permissions are writable :/ I feel I'm missing something?

Steve

I have a similar (not identical) issue with this Add/Edit page function. It's a problem for us.

Previously page creation consisted of the naming process + assigning a Master Page (which had previously been associated with an existing page containing all the regions we want on the new page).

This process meant we did not have to assign Regions to each new page because the information had been picked up from the process I described.

In 2.5.1 this process no longer works.

Unless we select a Parent Page (which contains the regions we want) every time we make a new page, we cannot make a new page with all the regions in place awaiting new content.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

If it's not the same issue, please post a new thread. You'll only make things hard for everyone by introducing another issue, and there's no way I can get you a satisfactory answer under those conditions.

Hey Drew – sorry on the late reply.

Should have thought to check the logs – here's what I've found:

[01-Jul-2014 23:53:32 UTC] PHP Notice: Use of undefined constant PERCH_CORE - assumed 'PERCH_CORE' in /Users/Archive/Dropbox/-RTB/Clients/CLIENT_NAME/Website/www.WEBSITE.com/admin/core/inc/loader.php on line 10

[01-Jul-2014 23:53:32 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'PerchSession' not found in /Users/Archive/Dropbox/-RTB/Clients/CLIENT_NAME/Website/www.WEBSITE.com/admin/core/inc/keepalive.php on line 5

[01-Jul-2014 23:54:13 UTC] PHP Warning: include(/Users/Archive/Dropbox/-RTB/Clients/CLIENT_NAME/Website/www.WEBSITE.com/perch/runtime.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Users/Archive/Dropbox/-RTB/Clients/CLIENT_NAME/Website/www.WEBSITE.com/admin/templates/pages/default.php on line 1

[01-Jul-2014 23:54:13 UTC] PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening '/Users/Archive/Dropbox/-RTB/Clients/CLIENT_NAME/Website/www.WEBSITE.com/perch/runtime.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.4.4/lib/php') in /Users/Archive/Dropbox/-RTB/Clients/CLIENT_NAME/Website/www.WEBSITE.com/admin/templates/pages/default.php on line 1

[01-Jul-2014 23:54:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function perch_pages_title() in /Users/Archive/Dropbox/-RTB/Clients/CLIENT_NAME/Website/www.WEBSITE.com/admin/templates/pages/default.php on line 6

I found an identical batch of errors (different time stamps) for each test that I did that I've omitted.

I've also tried an fresh installation of 2.5.1 on another server (rather than my MAMP setup) which produced the same result (ie, cannot add a new top-level page).

Let me know what else I can provide!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Does your perch/config/config.php include the line:

define('PERCH_CORE', PERCH_PATH.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'core');

Confirmed.

define('PERCH_CORE', PERCH_PATH.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'core');

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ah, panic not, I've found the source of the top-level-page creation issue. Nothing to do with page creation, but that edit form just happens to trip a bug in the form validation.

I'll get 2.5.2 out with a fix in the morning (it's almost midnight here - a bad time to ship releases).

Yahoo!

Thanks Drew. I was starting to think that I had gone completely mad. I'll grab the update when it's up!