Forum

Thread tagged as: Addons, CKEditor

Markitup Vs CKEditor

Often wondered since using Perch since V1 what is the benefit of using the Markitup editor over CKeditor?

I have also changed my default editor to CKEditor because of it's WYSIWYG ability, and thus making it simple to train the end-user on and also the plugins for adding Youtube, maps etc.

From what I see markitup is more suitable for users who understand HTML, but doesn't offer anything that CKeditor offers.

Would be interesting to know other peoples thoughts.

James Tedder

James Tedder 0 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

CKEditor will allow clients to enter any HTML that they want to. As Perch is based around structured markup our default position is that you wouldn't want that.

Using Textile or Markdown gives you - the designer - the ability to give clients a subset of HTML for links, bold and so on without allowing them to enter any random bits of HTML, potentially breaking the layout or making things look inconsistent. So it's really the reverse of what you are suggesting. Using MarkItUp along with Textile or Markdown usually means that the client can enter no HTML at all.

This is a tough one and I know that there are different opinions on this. I would normally give clients CKEditor because they usually have no experience of Markdown or Textile and, whilst some of them will have no problems with either of those given some tuition and would find MarkItUp easy to use, I have other clients who I believe would find MarkItUp with Textile/Markdown a rather unfamiliar experience. I recognise that "WYSIWYG" can lead to other expectations but I don't want to give clients an experience that is stranger than necessary.

I also recognise that I could possibly give clients more of a choice than currently so I'll have a think on that as well.

I use CKEditor but strip out all font, colour options and just leave my clients the option to format text with Heading1, Heading2 etc

I always instruct clients to use the "Paste as plain text" option where possible and so far, touch wood, I have not seen anything too horrific.

I think the image import, and link option dialogue windows are also quite comprehensive in CKeditor allowing the client to add Classes if pre-defined in their website's stylesheets.