Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

Assets/images issues - no thumbnails showing in Perch? Also, not cropping

Trying to understand what's changed (and what I need to change), when using the new assets feature - I have a bevy of questions:

1. When adding an image into assets, Perch asks for; Title, File & Tags. When I do this, it tells me the asset was successfully created, but there is no sign of the image (which I assumed would show as a thumbnail like an uploaded image used to before 2.5). Is this correct?
  2. Returning to the main assets page shows the file, but only with a gray icon denoting an image file, not a thumbnail of the actual image itself. Is this also correct?
  3. Uploading an image via a template (from my previous site running 2.4.9), now gives a link asking "Select or upload and image". This presents me with a slide-out assets panel, with the gray 'image' icons to select from, or add an asset. The 'add' panel instantly vanishes the moment a file selected for upload (there's a brief flash of a progress icon as everything disappears). This file is never seen again. Once, before clicking on save changes, I was shown an image dialog box (where I used to see a thumbnail in 2.4.9), but this had no thumbnail displayed, just some basic info about the file and the option to remove it. I've never seen this again - instead, I'm presented with the "Select or upload..." option, as though I haven't selected any images. However, while the image is never visible from within Perch, it usually shows up ok on the website - but always in its original resolution - never cropped as specified in the template.

I'm obviously doing something horribly wrong here. The only change I've made to my previously successful template is to add bucket attributes to the images. The image files I'm uploading are all well under 1MB. As of today, I'm running 2.5.2.

Jonathan Wilson

Jonathan Wilson 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Can you show me your diagnostics report from the Settings page?

Sure thing - I've popped it across by private ticket.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Is there anything in your PHP error log?

Nothing that appears to tie in directly with Perch - it's nearly all 'file does not exist' stuff from people looking for pages from my old website, which isn't back in place yet.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Can you confirm your apps.php file is not empty?

<?php
    include(PERCH_PATH.'/core/apps/content/runtime.php');
    include(PERCH_PATH.'/addons/apps/perch_forms/runtime.php');
?>
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Can you try adding the following to your config.php file?

define("PERCH_IMAGE_LIB", 'imagick');

Ok, adding that to my config.php has had somewhat of an effect... an interesting one:

screenshot.

The two icons are the images I was playing around with yesterday, the two overflowing 'thumbnails' are from after altering config.php just now. And, now that I've played around some more in Pages, those icons are now changing to thumbnails also.

Editing in Pages now produces thumbnails within remove/info boxes when selecting from the Assets panel and the images are appearing on the web page all correctly cropped.

So, assuming the assets thumbnails are supposed to overflow and overlap like that, it appears that the problem is pretty much cured?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

They're not supposed to overlap like that, but it could be inconsistent data left over causing it. I'll need to set up a test server with no GD to see if I can reproduce it.