Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Automatically update Perch and install/update apps, plugins and feathers.

It would be a great addition to Perch if it could update itself through its UI (like Wordpress, Drupal etc.). Also, it would be really handy if you could actually pick and install official apps, plugins and feathers through it too. Perhaps a dedicated section under Settings would be appropriate?

I guess an alternative way to achieve this might be to allow us to build our Perch download through the website, similar to how jQuery UI's website works, ticking the apps and plugins we need, so they get included in the final zip file.

I mentioned it because I've built quite a few Perch websites now, and in my experience I spend at least an hour or two per project getting Perch setup and then installing all the apps and plugins that I need.

I know there's a fair chunk of work that'd need to be for this to come to fruition, but I figured I'd put it forward so it's at least on the record.

Cheers.

James Harrison

James Harrison 0 points

• 7 years ago
Michael Wilkinson

Michael Wilkinson 6 points
Registered Developer

Hi James

An interesting idea. I know where you are coming from and I can see the advantages of that. I'd like the updating of things for existing sites, but I'd prefer to do it manually rather than automatic.

I too have built many sites with Perch but I don't start from scratch every time. I have my own Perch install that has the apps, feathers, field types, my own templates etc., that I user regularly already installed. Kind of like my own flavour of Perch (even with the branding of my company set). Then when I start a new project, I just use that. It gets everything up and running very quickly. Then every now and then I update my own Perch base ready for my next site. It's not perfect but it does save a lot of time. I even have it in github so my staff can use that to start a project with.

It's a good discussion point though and I'd be interested to hear what others do.

Cheers..

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

A download builder is something we've been contemplating.

Something like https://infinitewp.com/ (but for Perch) would be really useful. I too have my own setup process for each new Perch install and my own method of doing the site updates. We have a growing number of sites to do this on, as almost every site we now build involves a Perch licence. I keep Evernote files of what versions each site is on, for core and any plugins. I'd even be prepared to pay separately for a Perch setup/management system as it may not be something all Perch users would need but it would certainly be useful for people managing multiple Perch installations.

I know this is an old post, but I'd really like this too please !