Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Assembling multiple lists onto a single page

We're using the Nav Groups facilities to automatically list and present content fitting into various groups. All content for these Groups is based on the same template. So, for example, we have groups for 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945 and display a list of items for each year. This is widely used by readers who don't know exactly what they are looking for but are willing to scan through a list.

What we would like is a single consolidated list displaying all the content 1939 - 1945. We can't go back and retag all our content with a new1939 - 1945 Group because of the number of pages (2000+). We know we can't use multiple Groups in the navigation groups field, but is it possible to achieve our object through:

perch_content_custom(array('Writing','Podcasts'), array(
    'count'=>10,
    'template'=>'_external_resource.html',
    'page'=>array('/writing/index.php','/podcasts/index.php'),
    'sort'=>'date',
    'sort-order'=>'RAND'
)); 
Stefan Youngs

Stefan Youngs 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I'm not sure - does that give the result you're looking for? If not, how does it differ?

Ah! you're making the assumption I know what I'm doing!

I'd like to give it a go and report back to you.... but I don't know what to put in here in place of Writing, Podcasts. Does this refer to the region in the source doc I am drawing data from? If so, the region has the same name in all the source docs.

perch_content_custom(array('Writing','Podcasts'), array(

Is the template 'template'=>'_external_resource.html', the template for the page on which I'd like to see all the listings from the individual pages assembled together?

On this line

'page'=>array('/writing/index.php','/podcasts/index.php'),

is the array of the pages of all the 'source' pages? eg the page for 1939, page for 1940 etc?

Don't despair! I can follow directions!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'm really not clear on what you're trying to achieve.

I am trying to make a master list on one page consisting of the contents of lists already developed and published for a number of Navigation Groups.

So I have a list of items relating to Nav Group 1939 Ditto for Nav Group 1940 One for every year up to 1945

I want to make a master list that pulls together the lists for 1939, 1940 etc onto a single page. So on one page I will have all the contents of all the individual lists for 1939 up to 1945

I could achieve that by making a new Nav Group called 1939-1945 and going back and retagging the 2000 pages already created with this new Nav Group but that's a BIG task which I am trying to find a way around.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

When you say 'list', do you mean a multiple item content region?

So you have a number of multiple item content regions that you'd like to combine to display as one long list together. Is that the question?