Forum

Thread tagged as: Blog

Finding what section a specific blog post is in?

I have some working code that checks if a blog post is in a specific category so I can then do something extra within the page, like this:

post.php:

$var = trim(perch_blog_post_categories(perch_get('s'), '_category_check1.html', true));

_category_check1.html:

<perch:if id="categoryTitle" match="eq" value="Specific Heading">true</perch:if>

I want to do something similar, but instead I need to check if a blog post is in a specific section.

I've created _section_check1.html ...

<perch:if id="sectionTitle" match="eq" value="Specific Heading">true</perch:if>

I can't seem to get the right working code for 'post.php' so I can set the variable if that heading's found. Anyone advise please? ... Graham

Graham Street

Graham Street 17 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

$var = perch_blog_custom(array(
    'filter' => 'postSlug',
    'match' => 'eq',
    'value' => perch_get('s'),
    'skip-template' => true,
));
if (count($var) && $var[0]['sectionSlug']== 'specific-heading') {
    ... all good in the hood ...
}

I'm unable to get this working and have emailed info to hello@ - because the date/code I need to supply was quite lengthy and contained info I didn't really want public. Hope you can tie up my email with this and put me straight. I must be missing something really obvious I think.

I've now set this up in a local hosting setup so I can get better diagnostics.

This code ...

if (count($var) && $var[0]['sectionSlug']== 'specific-heading') {
 }

... generates this error ...

Array
 (
     [type] => 8
     [message] => Undefined index: sectionSlug
     [file] => /Users/xxxxx/Documents/websites/xxxxx.com/xxxxx/post.php
     [line] => 25
 )
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

What does this give you?

print_r($var);

The posting I was looking at was huge so set up a test/short one instead ...

Array ( [0] => Array ( [excerpt] => Array ( [raw] => Some text for the excerpt. [processed] =>
Some text for the excerpt.

) [metaTitle] => Test Text [postID] => 74 [postTitle] => Test posting [postSlug] => 20140718-test-posting [postDateTime] => 2014-07-18 13:28:00 [postDescRaw] => Some test text for the posting [postDescHTML] =>
Some test text for the posting

[postDynamicFields] => {"excerpt":{"raw":"Some text for the excerpt.","processed":"
Some text for the excerpt.<\/p>"},"metaTitle":"Test Text"} [postTags] => [postStatus] => Published [authorID] => 1 [sectionID] => 2 [postCommentCount] => 0 [postImportID] => [postLegacyURL] => [postAllowComments] => 1 [postTemplate] => post.html [perch_excerpt] => Array ( [raw] => Some text for the excerpt. [processed] =>

Some text for the excerpt.

) [perch_metaTitle] => Test Text ) )

Looking at that output, picking up the 'sectionID' would probably be all I need as its now not likely to change. So, is it ...

if (count($var) && $var[0]['sectionID']== '2') {
 }
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, that should work. Not working?

Yes, that got it. Many thanks. The blog is now switched over to sections, leaving categories for the use intended.