Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Addons, Blog

Using blog as News on home and other pages

I've read most of the blog documentation and seen the videos and will play with a blog installation so as to familiarise myself, but, would still like confirmation that the blog app will do what I'm after:

I want the site home page to display, say, the first 4 recent items (the videos say that this is OK). I'd like older items to be automatically pushed onto a dedicated 2014 News page, and for older items to be shown in a page relevant to their year, ie 2013, 2012 etc.

I don't want the News items that are on the Home page to be repeated on the dedicated News page.

I'd like a menu list of the years on each News page (same menu on each page).

There will only be one category, News, so don't want a categories list to be shown anywhere.

Would appreciate confirmation that above is relatively easily doable - any relevant tips also appreciated,

Peter H.

Peter Hammarling

Peter Hammarling 0 points

• 7 years ago

Peter, Yes you are correct. It will take some filtering to accomplish all this but it can be done. I have done similar setups in the past.

RK

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, should be no problem Peter.

Thanks both. Don't be surprised to see my name again here pleading for help

I've also done this on several sites. My only suggestion would be to have a 'Section' for News rather than a 'Category'. I did one of my sites as categories (in an earlier version, before sections were available). Now I'm adding a Blog to the site and need to use categories properly there. I'm now converting all the existing News to a section (in fact, sections).The actual Blog will be another section and it will have categories.

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have a directly related question: the client would like to add a blog to the site, which will be in addition to the existing News pages that use the blog app. Will the blog app permit this (effectively having two blogs on the same site) ? The answer above seems to say that it's possible to use the blog for "News" and a "Blog".

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Use a section for news and a section for blog, then filter on the section that you want.

Same as we have here, Peter - https://www.streets-ahead.com/blog/ (BLOG) and https://www.streets-ahead.com/blog/faqs.php (FAQs) - each one is a separate section in the Blog App. We actually do our News pages a different way (repeating region) because we did that a year ago. We would have used another Blog section for that if we were doing it again now.

Thanks v much.