Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, CKEditor

Are images uploaded through wysiwygs included in Assets?

I have many legacy Perch sites that use CKEditor and upon updating a couple of them to 2.5 I was disappointed to see that the images previously uploaded through CKEditor are not appearing in Assets. Is this expected?

Should future uploads through CKEditor appear in Assets? This would be very helpful if it's possible.

Thanks for your time and attention!

Kirk Roberts

Kirk Roberts 0 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

It's planned but no they don't do that yet as each one needs to be updated.

Okay, Rachel, thanks.

By the way, despite having "Send forum notification emails" checked in my account prefs I did not receive a notification email. And now that I'm commenting the E-mail Notifications checkbox below the Reply button is unchecked (there is no such checkbox when creating the thread).

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Have you logged into the forum since making the change? Or were you already logged in?

Hmm... not sure. Maybe that was the issue. I'll try logging out and back in and hopefully next time it will send the notifications. Thanks for the guidance.

Realized there wasn't mention about whether images previously uploaded through a wysiwyg can/should be appearing in Assets. In this case they are all in the /resources folder.

I may have made a wrong assumption that Assets would include everything in /resources :-(

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

As mentioned above they do not currently as it requires an update to each WYSIWYG to do that.

Oh, I guess I don't understand how it works (no surprise there), as I thought it would have to do with what's in /resources and/or what's in the database already, not the wysiwyg or wysiwyg uploader code.

So whenever the wysiwygs get updated the previously uploaded images will become available in Assets? Or at least that's the plan?

Thanks!

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

No, the WYSIWYG editors are - by design - not particularly tied into Perch. We don't know anything about what they have uploaded in the past. So, in future once we update each editor new images will end up in Assets.

Perch comes from a standpoint of structured data, images dumped into the site as part of a big block of HTML in an editor are always going to be second class citizens to those added in a structured manner because we can't control them to the same extent. In addition the editors are not our code, so we have less ability to manage what happens with images uploaded via them.

I understand what you're saying and also that this has always been the Perch stance on wysiwygs.

Not knowing (yet) how Assets works behind the scenes it seemed reasonable that it might be gathering pre-2.5 images by initially combing the /resources folder and sub-folders and pattern-matching the filepaths. In that way it would be possible to "know" what has been uploaded in the past.

Years ago I built an under-powered Resources List app that displayed a list of /resources assets with copyable URLs so the site editor could re-use images in wysiwyg text. It was not built to scale well, and now hundreds and hundreds of images later the site owner is asking for updates. "We can use the new Assets feature instead" I mistakenly replied, as the majority of the images are wysiwyg uploads for their Blog.

I guess it won't be that bad to say "you'll just have to upload the same image again once per image". We'll just wait for the wysiwyg updates (ckeditor and redactor). No good point in updating the Resources List app now.

Thanks for your patient explanations!