Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Importing from other CMSs

Hi guys,

I've recently moved my site from Textpattern to Perch and so far, it's worked great. I used Drews Txp > WP tool and then imported the resulting xml file into Perch.

Perch interpreted my Post ID's different compared to how Textpattern did but I noticed you had put a very handy 'PostImportID' row into the database so I could see what ID's my posts should have to remain in line with my previous URL structure and it would save me the bother of setting up a bunch of redirects.

I adjusted the IDs for each post and hey presto, it all worked!

I have however realised today that all my comments are linked to the wrong post IDs. They're all linked to the original Perch postID when I imported. I realise now that I should have changed the post ID in the comments table too.

Totally my fault!

What I'd suggest for future use though is to have a similar CommentPostImportID row in the comments table for when sites are migrated over. That way, I'd be able to see what postID they should relate to and be able to change it easily.

Hope all that makes sense?

Anthony Killeen

Anthony Killeen 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I don't follow why you need the old ID. The previous URL (if that included the ID) should be part of the slug.

Hey Drew,

I realise it's a complete edge case but I'd like the old ID on the comments so I can cross-check with the PostImportID on the posts. I'd then be able to adjust the post that each comment links to. At the moment, all comments on my blog are linked to the wrong posts.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't need to do that.