Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Configuration, Addons

Perch Gallery - Fatal error when trying to add an album

On local server (using Ampps) on MacPro. Just installed Perch and installed the Gallery add-on. I named the first album but when I clicked on the Save button, I got this message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function iconv() in /Volumes/Art/• CLIENTS/Tip Of The Spear/Web/tots.dreamhosters.com/perch/core/lib/PerchUtil.class.php on line 649

Line 649 is: $s = iconv('UTF-8', 'ASCII//TRANSLIT', $string);

If I comment out line 649, then I can create and save Albums in the Gallery add-on.

I know very little PHP, so I don't know where I might be causing problems elsewhere having done this.

Can someone please advise.

Thanks!

Michael Griffin

Michael Griffin 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Do you have a folder called • CLIENTS ?

You'll need to either install iconv or better still the Transliterator extension.

https://php.net/manual/en/class.transliterator.php

Thanks Drew! I've marked your response as a solution. Why did the • CLIENTS folder raise a flag? Changing it doesn't seem to solve the problem. My OSX10.7 Leopard seems to have a built in glitch w/ UTF-8 from what I’ve learned.

Not knowing much PHP, the transliterator page is broad in scope. Can you isolate which aspect I need to use for my situation?

Not expecting you to make the fix for me, just a little jump start, maybe.

Best regards,

Michael

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

It's just an optional PHP module that you should be able to install. I don't know anything about Ampps, so I'm not sure how you do it within that system.

Hey Drew. Just wanted to let you know that I finally learned Ampps has iconv available within it's PHP control panel. A simple checkbox activates it. I checked the box, restarted Ampps & now Perch is working exactly as it should on my localhost server.

Thanks again for diagnosing the issue. Excellent!

Michael