We are transitioning over to a new forum platform. Please post new issues there. Existing threads will be dealt with here unless you choose to move them over. Visit the new forum

Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

Editor cannot add sub pages to pages they created themselves.

As I understand it, if an editor creates a new page, they should be have permission to add sub pages. However an editor is adding new pages, but is not being granted permission to add sub pages to those.

In Roles, their Privileges are:

Yes - Delete regions Yes - Edit page details No - Edit region options Yes - Reorder pages Yes - Add new pages Yes - Add new top-level pages Yes - Delete pages Yes - Delete pages they created themselves No - Configure page settings No - Delete master pages No - Configure master pages Yes - Edit page titles and attributes Yes - Configure navigation groups No - Create navigation groups No - Delete navigation groups

PHP 5.6.31 is up to date
MySQL 5.5.5-10.1.24-MariaDB is up to date
Image processing available
SUMMARY INFORMATION

Perch Runway: 2.8.34, PHP: 5.6.31, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 76b08b24596e12d4553bd41fc93cccd5bac2fe7a $, with PDO
Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi
Installed apps: content (2.8.34), assets (2.8.34), categories (2.8.34)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', );
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
PERCH_PATH: /home/sites/developmentandtesting.co.uk/public_html/hfh/perch
PERCH_CORE: /home/sites/developmentandtesting.co.uk/public_html/hfh/perch/core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /home/sites/developmentandtesting.co.uk/public_html/hfh/perch/resources
Image manipulation: GD
PHP limits: Max upload 64M, Max POST 64M, Memory: 128M, Total max file upload: 64M
F1: 6a33f95eca3667f9e0c39bf5ca2980fe
Resource folder writeable: Yes
HTTP_HOST: hfh.developmentandtesting.co.uk
DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/sites/developmentandtesting.co.uk/public_html/hfh/
REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php
Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

• 2 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What permissions are on the parent page?

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

They are top level pages, so they have no parent.

Newly created sub level pages are granting permissions as expected.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

This is also the case with my Perch 3 site.

I have given the editor every permission there is and they still can't add sub pages to top-level pages they create themselves

Perch: 3.0.5, PHP: 5.6.28, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 76b08b24596e12d4553bd41fc93cccd5bac2fe7a $, with PDO
Server OS: Darwin, cgi-fcgi
Installed apps: content (3.0.5), assets (3.0.5), categories (3.0.5), perch_blog (5.5.1), perch_events (1.9.5), perch_forms (1.9), perch_news (5.0), perch_shop_orders (1.1), sly_popular_pages (1), perch_shop_products (1.1), chirp_seo (1), perch_shop (1.1), perch_members (1.6.1)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'perch_members', 'perch_forms', 'perch_events', 'perch_news', 'perch_shop', 'perch_blog', );
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
PERCH_PATH: /Users/simonclay/Dropbox/Clients/perchtest/perch
PERCH_CORE: /Users/simonclay/Dropbox/Clients/perchtest/perch/core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /Users/simonclay/Dropbox/Clients/perchtest/perch/resources
Image manipulation: GD
PHP limits: Max upload 32M, Max POST 32M, Memory: 128M, Total max file upload: 32M
F1: 0c66c2e1f82f9e0b7617b2cb8270f2c7
Resource folder writeable: Yes
SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php
REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
DOCUMENT_ROOT: /Users/simonclay/Dropbox/Clients/perchtest
HTTP_HOST: perchtest:8888
Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Just trying to check as thoroughly as I can that it's not my setup...

I can also confirm that this is a problem on the Swift Migrations Perch demo.

Thanks.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

If they're top level pages, that might just be a limitation. You can't set the permissions on the parent if there's no parent.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Thanks for reply Drew.

I am having to login to give my client permission to add subpages every time they create top level pages. It doesn't seem right to have to do this.

They've got pretty frustrated with me for having to do this, so in Roles I've given them permission to give themselves permission, which feels a bit daft (and is more control than I wanted to grant).

I've hit this problem occasionally in the past, but once the top level pages are established and permissions are granted by Admin, there's not usually much more activity. But it doesn't seem right that there is a limitation like this.

This particular client has wanted to build up their site pages pretty much from scratch, so this problem has come up a lot.

I can't see much of this issue in the Forum, which makes me think that most Perch sites and pages much be set up by Devs and then Clients only ever add sub pages to the top level pages created by Devs.

I reckon we should be able to deploy sites where Clients can be able to create top level pages and then be allowed create sub pages.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

ugh, I've just read my last post and it sounds like a rant.

It's not. It's just an honest opinion from a happy customer. :)

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Perch was never designed as a point and click website building tool. The idea has always been that it's for professional web designers and developers who want to work with a client to create the site architecture, page templates and so on and then offer the client the ability to maintain that with the software.

Originally you couldn't even create new pages. The thought that a client would be adding large numbers of top level pages on a regular basis is a really a bit alien to how Perch works. It's the sort of thing that would make sense to find a solution for as and when I'm able, but it's honestly no a priority as it'll sell zero more licenses and take time away from other things.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Yes, completely understand and there's little, or no mention of it here on the Forum, which is a bit of a surprise to me, but there we go.

Oh, I remember the Pages app! :)

I feel like Runway at least ought to allow Editors to be able to add sub pages to top level pages they create themselves, but I hear what you're saying about selling more licences.

Thanks for your time.